MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/15/2009 12:15 PM

Learning disabilities/Driver's License"s!!!

littlebopeep1
littlebopeep1  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I would like to share with all of you today, my 16 year old son just went this morning, to get his permit and failed twice. the reason that I am sharing this with all of you is that people out there don't realize, in how it is for children or even adult's with these problems......my son was so upset and torn apart that he wanted to give up.....I as his mother told him that he was smart and that he needs too keep studing, and in time he will pass....

But what really had gotten me is that the person whom read the ?????'s too him didn't go over them at the end to see if he wanted, too change any answer's, this person took upon themself and just gradeed it....And they did it with the second test as well...I am going to work on getting help for all of you and our kids, so they don't have too come out being hurt.......

maryanne

07/22/2009 01:58 PM
faithinher
faithinher  

MaryAnn,

My daughter is 17 and wants to go for her permit. she has an IEP in school and has tests read to her but will they when she gets her permit? do I ask ahead of time? do states vary in what they do for getting permits? after reading your post I could see my daughter in your sons experience. they beat themselves up over all their failures and then think they are stupid or can't do anything and so on. I hear it so often and then there we are picking up the pieces and trying to lift their spirits to try and convince them it isn't them. Honestly I am dreading her getting her license. Can she handle it? will she be able to react fast enough? I just don't know.

07/24/2009 04:18 AM
littlebopeep1
littlebopeep1  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

faithinher, Welcome to the group...And I am so sorry that I am late getting back too you......Yes she will get her permit, but what ever is in her IEP they have to follow...You will have to call the DMV and make an appointment for her to have the test read.....

My son went and they read it to him....But he failed...Not say that she will but I want you to know that it is very hard......Study is the key word for her..Tell her not too rush into it...Need more help PM me...

Maryanne

01/03/2011 04:12 PM
musicluverxoxo

i feel so useless i fail the written test 8 times already since i was 18 teen and i finally got my permit at 20 yrs old but my permit expire so i have to retake the written test again my family doesnt understand they say that im stupid because i cant pass a simple test.

01/06/2011 05:58 PM
Healer

See if you can take a spoken test (oral test).

Many people with learning disabilities (LD) have trouble

with written tests.That does not mean they are stupid.

They may need to be tested another way. For some they may

need to be tested in a room with out other people present as

any noise can cause them to lose their train of thought and

it takes many minutes for them to recover.

Healer

01/06/2011 06:10 PM
Healer

See http://www.totallyadd.com and

http://www.ldame.org/adults.html

for helpful information.

Most people who have learning disabilities and attention deficit disorder are of average intelligence or above. However they may learn in different ways than many others. The key is to find the ways that work best for them. The same is true for testing. A person with ADD/LD may need special accomadations such as extra time or a quiet room.

Healer

Post edited by: Healer, at: 01/06/2011 06:11 PM

02/06/2011 11:55 AM
mollymae2002
mollymae2002  

welcome to the group all... i can get some info on that if you need it. Pm me and i will respond. sorry its a late response..

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved