MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/02/2012 10:23 AM

Another New Guy

hbark

Hi All. Just wanted to introduce myself.

I had my first knee surgery way back in Oct 1969 when I tore cartilage playing high school football. The other knee went in 2000 playing racquetball, that time it was arthroscopic surgery. Had my first shot of Synvisc soon after that. For the next 10 years or so, although pain was there, it wasn't too bad most of the time.

Anyway the last couple of years, and especially the past few months have been pretty painful. Synvisc or cortisone provides little to no relief. I'm not athletic these days but do a lot of walking and hiking at least. I figure it's time to look into knee replacement. My last xray was 2 years ago that showed moderate OA in 1 knee, and moderate to severe in the other.

I live in the Philadelphia area (Bucks County) where there are tons of surgeons to choose from. I have appointments with 4 of them (probably too many?? who knows) starting tomorrow. Of course they'll take their own xrays, so we'll see what's what. I'm anxious to figure out what's next. I work full time but from my home office, so am hoping that assuming I do need surgery, on one or probably both knees, I can start back to work (at least part time) sooner than many. I know there are a lot of variables though.

I'll be checking in more frequently. Thanks.

Howard

05/02/2012 04:01 PM
whitehga

Howard - I wish you all the best. I had bilateral tka done at Penn. Dr. Booth (3B Orthopaedics) did the surgery. He works with the manufacturers of the implants and I was told by friends and strangers alike that he was the best. I have to agree with them. I had great care. Went to rehab at Bryn Mawr. Best care there as well. I'm up and about, have been for months. No regrets getting them both done at the same time.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Glenn

05/02/2012 04:10 PM
hbark

Thanks Glenn. I didn't know if we were allowed to mention specific doctors on here. I have an appointment to see Dr. Booth downtown next week -- he's 1 of the 4 that I'll be seeing.

I appreciate your comments.

05/02/2012 05:25 PM
whitehga

My apologies if we aren't supposed to mention names. But he's the only one I would recommend in the city.

05/02/2012 06:21 PM
Simbamom

Hey Howard! Just wanted to let you know I had a TKR 8 weeks ago and am scedueled for next week to have the other done. If you have any questions on what to expect feel free to ask. Thats why I'm having the other one done so close the results are amazing,I felt the difference right away.Therapy is rough though.

Mary

05/03/2012 04:00 PM
vleeharris

Hiya Howard ... I also malingered and postponed Bi Lateral TKR until nothing else worked; my ortho (Dr.Ken Jones in NE OH) told me they both needed to be done. My rhuemotolgist ~sp? suggested I may need both knees replaced years ago. Dr.Jones asked if I wanted to rehab for a year (for both knees) ... or two(for each knee) He cautioned it would be challenging, but worth it. He was correct.

It is a very aggressive & pain filled proceedure. I had my surgery 3/12/12. I will have my last outpt PT tomorrow. I ride my stationary bike x2 a day for up to 25 mins, try to walk briskly for ten minutes or more a day.(along with steps & other exercises) I still have pain ... but it gets better and better every day ...unlike that debilitating pain of "bad knees."

Get support around you, go to rehab religiously ... and buckle your seat belt! It is a challenge!

We are very fortunate to be living in a time when our knees may actually last more than 30 years ... that's a total shift in quality of life for me.

I just turned 52 & cannot wait to get up on my mountain bike and take her for a spin!!!

Good luck!

Veronica

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved