MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/16/2012 09:36 AM

Muscles Tightening after TKR ~ NORMAL??

TiredMom57

I had a TKR on my right knee on 6/11 and am progressing normally, I'm thinking. The main problem I'm having is a tightening of the muscles (I guess) around the knee. It drives me NUTSO!!! The minute I get up to walk, they tighten up. This happened following my patellar resurfacing surgery in '09 also. Has anyone experienced this and is it normal?? Also ~ any advice on relaxing those muscles??

Thanks!

07/23/2012 02:57 AM
avm43

Could u tell the exercises your doing to help strengthen your knee? Very nervous when walking and leg feels like it's giving outTongue

07/23/2012 05:05 AM
TiredMom57

Sure....1) laying flat with either a styrofoam cylinder or rolled up blanket under knees, press down back of knee while raising lower part of leg. I do that 50 times 3X/day; 2) same set up - after raising lower part of leg, go into a leg lift 20-30 times 3X/day; 3) same set up - roll leg slightly having inside of knee upward, place ball (at least 6 inches round) in between legs on top of cylinder, while squeezing ball with legs do number 1 but with both legs. You won't be raising the ball, but only the lower part of leg. This is done for 5 minutes, raising and lowering lower leg. Let me know if you don't understand something. Good luck!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved