MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/13/2012 09:29 PM

Pain after physical therapy

carolyngoad

I was just wondering if anyone else suffers trememdous pain the night that you had physical therapy. I am in total misery for the whole night. I have been icing too. My ROM is only 67 and the other is 6. My surgery was a week ago Monday..so I am ten days out. It worries me. Any advice will be appreciated. I think my doc will take out staples tomorrow. Does that make a huge difference? I feel like such a wimp...

Carolyn

06/14/2012 07:03 AM
Simbamom

Hi Carolyn!

Yes, pain is normal after physical therapy. It's 5 weeks today for me and I still need to take a pain med at bedtime. The staples could be part of the problem also. My pain is mostley in the area above the knee. Alot when on in there during your surgery, give it some time. My other leg was done in March and that area is still alittle tight. Ice and elevation are the best thing right now. Hang in there, it will get better. Smile

06/14/2012 10:42 AM
livewithhope
livewithhope  

Hey, Carolyn. I had my tkr 6 weeks ago, and I still have pain! Yes, therapy is very painful for me, too. When they bend it to see how far they can go, that of course is the worst. Then it also hurts later on that night. You've still got lots of swelling, which is absolutely normal. Simbamom is right about the ice and elevation.

We have to remember what all was done with our leg, and that this recovery is slow going. My doctor has been putting lots of pressure on me about getting to a certain ROM by a certain time, and I think that's absurd! We all heal differently, and he can't compare me to everybody else.

With all the reading I've done since my surgery, I feel like I'm making slow but steady progress, which I'm happy about. I'm not going to let my doctor make me feel like there's something wrong with me.

Carolyn, I used to feel like a wimp, too. You just had your surgery, and this usually takes up to a year to fully recover. Take it easy, be good to yourself with rest, ice, and elevation.

I'd be happy to talk further, if you'd like. You can send me a PM, if you want to. This has been a complete shock to me physically and emotionally. We'll get through it, though!

Take care....Liz

06/14/2012 03:32 PM
Sandy050112

You all are talking my language!

I had my left tkr on May 1. To complicate things, I had a fall at home after only 8 days, which has left me "afraid" of my knee. Dr said the device was fine but obviously had done some damage to the tissue. Physical therapy is extremely painful when the therapist bends it as far as it will go, and I cannot seem please either my dr or the pt. I had gotten to 90 degree bend at one point and then at assessment time had slipped back to 87 3 days ago. My dr really made me feel badly about that. Now he says I "MUST" get to a 100 degree bend by my next appt with him on July 9. So now I am in emotional pain as well as physical pain. Lots of swelling still present too. I guess it is one day at a time. Friends who have dne this before me all say in time I will be happy I did this. I will be glad when that day gets here!

06/15/2012 09:50 AM
carolyngoad

I am sorry for all you are going through. I am fortunate in the fact that I have a doctor that sofar hasn't been ugly to me. He is very direct about what I am facing and where he would like for me to be but I would say in a tactful way. TKR has a tendancy to make us women very emotiona. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved