MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/10/2012 10:23 AM

did I really sign up for this surgery?!

livewithhope
livewithhope  

Hello, everybody...I'm very new here, and my TKR was 9 days ago. I went straight home from the hospital....no home health, no rehab facility. I'm going out to a lab to get blood checked and out for therapy everyday. Did anybody else do it that way?

I asked my doctor about going into a rehab hospital, but he felt like at my age (59), I should do fine with going home and going to therapy. So far, I guess it's going pretty well for me. I think getting out everyday helps my spirits some.

I must say that I never imagined it would be like this! I mean, I knew it would hurt, but you really can't comprehend how much until you go through it, right?

I'm trying to meet some people on here to talk with, b/c this is obviously very new to me. I was wondering who all comes on here regularly. Anybody care to talk? I've met a couple of people, and I'm grateful for that. It really helps to have some folks to talk to, who know what you're going through.

Thanks! I look forward to meeting some more of you guys. I call you "heroes!" This surgery is definitely not for the wimps!!!

Liz

05/10/2012 01:11 PM
whitehga

Liz,

You sound like you're making good progress. Getting out of the house definitely DOES boost one's spirits.

I had both knees done at the same time on Aug 2nd. Because of that, I had no choice but to go to rehab for a week post-op. I only did one week of in-home physical therapy but because I was making such great progress I started at a PT place close to home 3 weeks post-op.

You are correct, this is not a surgery for whimps, but I found out that I was in so much pain and discomfort before the surgery, I was able to tolerate the pain afterwards. Not that it was easy, but I knew I was on the road to recovery.

I check in here once a day for any new posts. Please reach out to me if you have any questions.

Keep up the good work!

Glenn

05/10/2012 01:50 PM
livewithhope
livewithhope  

Thanks so much for your reply, Glenn. I don't see how anyone could do both knees at he same time! I've heard others say they did, and I just can't even imagine it.

Today at therapy was very rough. It was one of those screaming out and crying times. Of course the worst part is at the end where they press on your leg to make it bend more and reach a higher ROM than the day before. That's what did it for me today.

The bad thing is even when you're at home, you've got to be conscious of "oh I need to be bending my knee and pushing myself all the time." I feel that if I just relax and rest, that causes me to stiffen up more.

Any comment about that? Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me. I will be checking in here everyday, and I'll probably have lots of questions.

Liz

05/10/2012 02:05 PM
whitehga

Liz,

Yes, you have to be conscious of making sure you bend your knee. Do you live alone? The reason I ask is that my surgeon gave my wife a chore while we were sitting watching TV at night. Every commercial, she had to have me "plank" my legs, I had a recliner so it was easy to do, and perform "CPR" on each leg 20 times. This helped with the straightening since it is basically a stiffining thing that keeps you from getting to zero. She also politely "refused" simple requests to go get me a drink of water in the kitchen. It forced me to get up out of the chair, which for me was the most difficult task, walk into the kitchen and "stretch" my legs.

I have no problems answering your questions. I wish you the best!

Glenn

05/12/2012 05:22 PM
vleeharris

Hi Liz!!! I'm 52 and had both knees done 3/12/12 ... yep 8 weeks ago. Keep moving ... every 1/2 hour do something ... I was in the hospital and on day 3 was moved to rehab for ten days. There, they had me doing two ninty minute sessions of rehab daily. They also had me dressing in "street clothes" keeping out of pajamas & treating myself like I was healing and not "sick" has been important.

Bilateral TKR is not for the light hearted ... but DEFINITELY is worth it! I've accepted I'll have discomfort ... but every day ... little by little ... I am gaining strength & endurance.

I have a cheap, old school stationary bike I ride daily ... its been my life saver. That and I've had tons 'o steps! My bedroom & bath are on the second floor ... I had to start doing steps right away.

Remember ... this too shall pass & you'll have a new found excitement for life through your recovery.

I found checking in here on occasion was a good reality check for me ... btw Glen was a great boost for me!!!

Its odd, but we really don't have many others to compare and relate to ... its an unusual but exciting surgery.

Good luck!!!

Peace

V

05/13/2012 03:33 AM
whitehga

Thanks V! I only told it like it was. The discomfort was definitely worth it and now, 9 months out, I only wonder why I waited so long!

Peace!

Glenn

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved