MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/27/2012 02:22 AM

8 wks post-op--insomnia

nanax4

Had Left TKR on Dec 27, 2011. Had home PT for 4 weeks and did well--walking without cane, up and down stairs, flexing to 114. No pain pills during day, but leg pain awakens me IF I can get to sleep. It is 5:15am, and I have been unable to sleep tonight--usually getting 2-4 hrs.

Knee "catches" when I turn to right side and hurts outside calf and behind knee. Main problem is the insomnia. Can anyone help????

02/28/2012 10:45 AM
Steve544

Hi, I can't really tell you anything that will help you. I can tell you to keep the faith better sleep will come. I am 5 weeks out and at a similar level as you are. I have found that although I am not yet sleeping like I had before surgery, I am getting the sleep I need. The hardest part is the inconsistency. I have come to believe that its all just part of the healing process and will take time to get back to normal. You didn't say whether you were going for outside PT or not. I have found that having a shoulder to cry on (in the form of a therapist) can have a far more therapeutical benefit than physical. At any rate on one the nights when I am unable to sleep I will think of you and wish you pleasant dreams.

Steve

03/04/2012 03:02 PM
jdruski
jdruski  

Hi

I am 7 weeks tomorrow. I am so thankful that I was able to find a spot to put my leg and I have been getting more than enough sleep. However, I also take ambien every night.

I agree with all that Steve says. Perhaps ask your PCP if maybe he can give you something to help with sleep.

Good luck to you and hopefully pleasant dreams.Smile

03/05/2012 05:03 PM
whitehga

Hello all, I am 7 months post op this week. Sleep DOES come. My doc had me take a benadryl (generic worked just fine) along with my pain pill at night. It was just enough to help with the sleep. It is the same thing in OTC drugs like Tylenol PM, etc. Check with your doc.

What are you taking for pain? Just a thought since everyone reacts differently to pain meds. In the beginning oxycodone helped quite a bit but in the end I found it was making me jittery and contributing to the insomnia.

Best of luck to you all! And keep up the good work!

Glenn

03/11/2012 01:04 PM
napaman

Hi - got two quick questions for anyone out there: Compared with pre-op range of motion, what can be expected for post-op (like at 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years). My ROM was cut back like 50% following surgery, and 2 years later is still the same. Just wondering what others have experienced immedately and over time.

Second question is, how long do the post-op stretches and exercises need to be continued - can one ever "graduate" to a normal exercise program like before the surgery?

04/15/2012 06:36 PM
vleeharris

I have recently discovered "night terrors" brought on "allegedly" by my Ambien. I'd wake up in excrutiating pain & not find comfort for nearly 90 mins ... fell back to sleep & would wake up a few hours later only to wonder WTF?! I stopped the ambien & currently use an herbal tea & low dose melatonin. I'm still taking some pain meds ... typically one in the late morning & one an hour before bed ... I still have pain, but its different & is changing daily. I have found, as I fall asleep, I repeat affirmations and claim my healing ... it clears my head so I can get great and refreshed sleep. Rather than spinning in my head about the position, the pain, the anxiety about recovery ... I've shifted to "I am healing, my legs are strong,my spirit is lite and ready to grow, I am healing, I am loved, I am limitless..." So far, its reduced nite time anxiety a great deal. BTW I had total bi lateral knee replacement 3/12/12. It Does Get Better!!! One day at a time!

04/23/2012 03:32 PM
shirley17g

I'm at 7 weeks today, and my pt has gone to once a week now, along with doing them at home. What is your ROM?

05/07/2012 08:17 AM
UPSuzanne

for bendig, with a goal of 120, I'm at 118 after doing some excercises at PT. For flat, with 0 of goal, I'm at 2, but it's very hard for me to lay my leg flat, as in bed. I need to work on stretching that ligament behind my knee. My problem is insomnia..

05/08/2012 10:43 AM
mem5264

i am also at 120 and im a year out on this r tkr but with all my complications i still have the numbness in the knee which when i had left knee done in 2010 that went away about 6 month mark along with the insomnia the only problem was i was a night owl now i am not i dont seem to have a sleep pattern. i sleep when i sleep and im awake when im awake. not working it doesnt seem to be a matter to me yet but this summer im going to try and establish a normal sleeping pattern as i want to go back to college to finish my accounting degree i started in 2010.

Post edited by: doves1959, at: 05/08/2012 10:46 AM

05/08/2012 10:50 AM
mem5264

napaman i still do alot of the rom excercises on both knees in bed before i wake up and also when i go to bed i find it keeps them from stiffening up on me at this point im working on endurance and strengthing my right knee. walking is still very hard for me a year later i still use a cane for the right leg but i have had the complications so i am very happy where i am today and know it eventually will come i just have to work harder at now.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved