MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/01/2011 06:15 AM

total knee replacement surgery problems

Crossstitcher51451

I had my knee replacement 2 1/2 years ago. I am total frustrated and depressed. I am still in pain, have trouble walking, still have to use a cane, Have a lot of trouble sleeping.

Is anybody suffering from these same problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I got an infection a week after origional and it had to be redone.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciate.

Thank youSad

06/11/2011 08:57 PM
photoshoot
photoshoot  

I had a knee replacement a couple of years ago. The replacement broke - yes, actually broke - and 10 days later I had replacement surgery again. I was devastated over the second surgery. I now have both my knees replaced. I am not able to bend either all the way so I can't squat and get on the floor. Hard time getting in and out of the car also. I have pain in both after using them a lot or change of weather or just because. Not like I thought it would be. Some people I have talked to are just like new with no pain at all. My husband had his done. He can't bend his even 1/2 as far as he should and it hurts when he is on his feet a lot or working too hard. I don't think they are what they are cracked up to be and should only be used as a last resort.

09/28/2013 02:37 PM
Karenuebbing
Karenuebbing  

Sad i agree. Iam 46 an had hurt my left knee messing around with my son on the basketball court. they did mri and blood work and told me that i had torn my acl and menial and lateral maniscus. well that mri was completely inaccuate. i had dislocated my knee and the torn ligaments and a mass that they said was a blood clot but 7 months into forcng me to pt, which was so wrong to do, which was so painful id cry because they found out it was bone on bone. now, 9 months since the accident they are rushing me to get a full knee replacement because i had a severe infection that broke down all the cartlidge and muscles etc. so began the 1st knee surgery then the second and i just want to cut my leg off at times from this awful pain. i also can not bend my leg without shooting, burning and stinging pain that shoots up to my thigh and down to my foot. I was so happy to find this web site and to read your story. i hope to hear from you in the near future. Please anyone who can relate add me to your friends list.I Pray to God everyday that i meet someone who knows how i feel. The people around me do not.

Sincerely,

Karen - female - 46yo

Post edited by: Karenuebbing, at: 09/28/2013 02:51 PM

12/08/2013 07:29 AM
jbabs

Sorry to here that, here's my experience, I'm 48 and always had physical jobs. I Injured my right knee June 2011 had orthoscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus and shave smooth the bones and remove bone chips, Post surgery I was never able to put full weight on it. October 2012 had the exact same surgery word for word different surgeon, same result knee gives out after 1 hour walking with major swelling months after surgery. 3rd surgeon orders a X-ray that shows bone on bone is causing the pain. August 2013 Total knee replacement, After surgery a distinct very painful 4 inch horizontal line where the lower prosthetic ends in the lower bone, a MRI shows swelling in the bone and around the bone (exact doctors words) the lower bone aches 24/7 like a tooth, and unable to sleep more than 2 hrs a night. One thing I can add is the sharp electrical shock like spasms that at first lasted a few seconds but now stretch to almost a minute make the knee jump like a difibulator on a chest. unfortunately I haven't found anything to manage the pain but often wonder if removing it below the knee would ease the pain............

12/18/2013 12:09 PM
woodyocd

I had my knee replacement last year and mostly it seems to have gone very well. So much so that I can run in a funny manner but all the same run! I have great bend, can walk far and fast but still get pain....I am told it can take up to 2 years to fully recover and have had the sharp electric shock pains too but nothing too major....

Right after surgery had 68% bend and bruising from buttock to ankle which took a full 4-5 months to fully go away....I had to have extra physio wich only ended in Nov this year so I credit my physio with a lot of my wellness in my joint..Hope yours improves in some way....Woodyx

12/18/2013 02:39 PM
jbabs

I wish you the best of luck with your knee, Sounds like you had a support group behind you with a plan that worked. My PT person stopped twice because he noted there was something wrong in the knee. Unfortunately 4 weeks after knee replacement surgery I was back at work sweeping floors, stocking shelves, and counting inventory. I found out later the insurance carrier was demanding less and less restrictions directly from the Surgeon. Still 4 months after surgery my knee is swollen to the point it resembles a smooth Mellon and is very painful to walk.

Woodey I am glad to here there is light further down the road. Good luck jbabs.

12/21/2013 09:58 AM
jackie7579

Very sad to see how many people are having so many problems. I least I know it isn't only me. Anyone have any advice it would be appreciated.

12/25/2013 06:51 PM
Chulasotta

I know,....same here. Hang in there

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved