MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/20/2011 02:14 PM

Home from the hospital and in love with my bed

jackedupinok

Tongue Hey everyone, home from the hospital, 3 days in icu and 2 on the nuero ward. My surgery went very well pain in th neck is not so hot but my arms and other nerves pain is amazingly better. Love my doc cant say enough good about him or his team. Cant be on here long hurts to look down and let me tell you if you think its hard to function with limited csf flow you should try to function with good flow after its funny to watch. I was missing my mouth with a straw by inches and cant walk straight to save my a** but that is getting better. I will probably at some tome have to have this done again but will know what to expect and I wouldnt wish the first day on my worst enemy. Puking ( which comes from the part of the brain they work on with your head split open is not a fun thing)anyway things can always be worse. Look for things to be better in you life weather its thru friends family god or whatever inspires you and makes you feel at peace. I have to feel that I was somehow given this task of poor health for a reason weather its because I can take it or I am here to try to help others. Remember as bad as you feel there is always someone worse try to have a wonderfull holiday season, I wish you all well and hope you can have at least a day of inner peace and harmony even if your body tells you other wise. Have to go cant stop crying its the damn emotions that get the best of me. Cathy

12/20/2011 02:58 PM
treblig66
treblig66Posts: 461

Cathy,

Thanks for sharing! I'm so happy for you, and I hope you continue to improve. What a wonderful Christmas present for you, and for the rest of us too! Merry Christmas, and God bless you!

12/20/2011 05:45 PM
grandmabrk

Cathy, Thank you so much for putting the effort into an update so quickly. It is great news that you are feeling a difference so soon after surgery. Rest, recuperate, and enjoy the holidays. Smile

12/20/2011 07:39 PM
lisaraman

CAthy, it is wonderful to hear from you...and so soon !! Thanks for updating us. So glad your CSF is back in full working order Smile Only neuro patients can understand these weird jokes. I'm glad the pain in general is better, but sorry to hear the neck isn't improving as much as hoped. It's still early. give it a few weeks and see after you heal from the op, if the pain improves there too.

Now rest when you can. That is very important right now. Hope your holiday is happy and a great recuperation period. Best wishes, Lisa

12/22/2011 11:05 AM
nmac

Rest and take good care of yourself!

Nancy

12/22/2011 05:22 PM
Rosie88
Rosie88Posts: 708
I'm an Advocate

Healing is yours! I hope you are in little pain and healing well. I came in late... may I ask what CSF is?

12/23/2011 12:02 PM
jackedupinok

It is Cerebral spinal fluid. It flows around your brain and spinal cord everytime your heart beats. Due to my many spinal issues KFS being one things were in the way of this fluid flowing in amy normal way at all. I had bone, brain cysts blah blah making mine put preasure on nerves and brain and causing more damage the less it flowed. They can check the flow by doing a cine mri. So my doc 1 1/2 tear ago detethered my attached spinal cord whic h gave me releif actually of neck pain. Just for a while.Becaause kfs degenerates you more quickly that average (less parts to move just wear out faster)I am falling apart in my latter 40s. The detethering of the cord did make my chiari shrink but C4+5 were compromising flow also. So, they cracked the back of my neck, zapped my falling lower cerebellar tonsils shaved off the bones that were on the cord,removed some cysts and let the preasure flow in somewhat of a normal way. They wont do another mri for at least 6 months to give things a chance to heal. Its funny though cuz you get used to living a certain way and then you get a change and you have a hard time not falling off the tiolet seat!! No really I could tell the nerve pain was gone the next day. I am not going to lie. The first day was hell no morphine no nothing took the pain away, I told my husband I wanted to die more than once. This is not a surgery they do just because they can. I was told I was tough and could handle it, and to hand around and watch my kids grow up I will endure whatever it takes. I will probably have to do it again and I will be ok. I have to be. Gotta lay down for a bit my neck is very stiffand of course I have done way more than I should being 1 week post op. Good wishes to all Cathy

01/04/2012 11:33 AM
grandmabrk

Sorry to see on another thread that you have overdone it and are not feeling well. Take care and rest so you can heal without unnecessary scarring and stretch tearing of damaged muscle tissue from the surgery. It takes longer for the inside to heal than it does the skin. Hope that you are beginning to feel better.

Post edited by: grandmabrk, at: 01/04/2012 11:34 AM

01/16/2012 12:33 PM
Rosie88
Rosie88Posts: 708
I'm an Advocate

Cathy, how are you doing today? They sure did a lot in your neck this round. I can't imagine the healing pain. I did have to laugh though about the toilet seat and not falling off. I am so used to things spinning if I move to fast or feeling I am drunk when I am not... that to alter it would be another adjustment! Not that I enjoy these symptoms. Thinking of you!!!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved