MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/16/2012 07:58 PM

How long until stone exits bladder?

mere2442

Hey all,

I am new here and have my first Kidney stone. The stone is thought to be between 5-6mm and was found on a CT scan in the ER. I was told that it was in my UVJ. I visited the Urologist who gave me a strainer, Vicodin and a week of rapaflo and said that he would see me in 2 weeks. I am straining every time I use the restroom, still in a little pain, but it is not as intense as it was, and feels more like it is in my bladder than my side/ureter.

I was wondering how long they normally take to come out once they are in my bladder, and if I can do anything besides drinking lots of water?

Thanks,

Meredith

04/17/2012 05:31 PM
dachsiefan
dachsiefan  
Group Leader

Mere,

Welcome to the Kidney Stone Support group. I am sorry you are experiencing your first kidney stone. As to your question on how soon the stone should pass, I can't be very helpful. All of my stones were nearer the kidney and had to be broken up with laser lithotripsy. They also put stents in to help me pass the fragments. Since your stone was seen nearer the bladder, I expect you should pass it before you go back to the urologist. If you don't pass it, you urologist may suggest doing a more invasive procedure.

I am on a high fluid diet to try to reduce my risk of future stones. My urologist suggests drinking at least every couple of hours during the day and two more glassfuls before bedtime.

As you can see, we have a pretty small group here. I am the group leader. Please feel free to message me anytime with questions, concerns, suggestions. My primary illness is liver cirrhosis so I am not always in this group when I am online.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and again, welcome to MDJunction.

Susie:Smile

Post edited by: dachsiefan, at: 04/17/2012 05:33 PM

06/09/2012 02:35 PM
pinklady4eva

Mere

i have had kidney stones before. last year was my second time. i went to the doctor then i ended up in the ER. long story short i ended up in the hosptial for a few days. i had to have a stent in my. believe they aren't fun. the last time i had one was in 97 or 98 don't remember. but those passed.

drink lots of water that's what i was told to do. when i get them im in a lot of pain. hope everything is ok for you now

Post edited by: pinklady4eva, at: 06/09/2012 02:36 PM

Post edited by: pinklady4eva, at: 06/09/2012 02:36 PM

09/30/2012 07:13 AM
mere2442

Hey guys, it is months later, but I thought that I would update what happened with my kidney stone. I thought that it had gone into my bladder, as I stopped having pain for a few days, but this was not the case. I started having attacks again, and when I went back, they scheduled me for an outpatient surgery. The stone was 8mm, so much larger than the scan showed, but it was in my UVJ and easy to remove. They placed a stent that I was able to remove myself the following week. The surgery was very painful, but I have been attack free ever since! I hope that that helps someone in a similar situation.

10/01/2012 05:50 PM
dachsiefan
dachsiefan  
Group Leader

Thanks Mere for the update!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved