MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/23/2012 04:27 AM

Magnesium for IBS; is it safe?

blonde4

Wonder if Magnesium at 400mg per day can cause "laxative" dependence for your colon. It is the suggested dosage on the Magnesium Glycinate I got from my Chiropractor. It does seem to help reduce spasims and keeps bowels softer and easier to expell. Feel a little funny about the "potty talk" but that's what IBS is all about Wink If you can't discuss this topic here, where can you. Anyways, have heard the mineral is helpful for IBS w/ constipation but no warnings. I've been taking it for about 4 years. Thanks for your input.

Post edited by: blonde4, at: 04/14/2012 05:01 PM

04/23/2012 11:39 PM
Pixie1960
Pixie1960  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hello Blonde4,

Welcome to the group.

The answer to your questions is yes. Like narcotics, our body can get depended on just about any medication. That's why it is so important to see your gastro doctor on a regular basis. It's extremely important that you let your doctor know about ALL the medications you take including over- the- counter medications.

It's always a good idea to consult with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It's always better to be safe then sorry.

You take care.

Hugs,

Kathleen

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved