MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/03/2011 07:07 PM

Change in diet helped IBS(page 2)

Monk27
Monk27  

I have lost 28 lbs. so far (50 more to go) yuck! But I dont want to go back to my old habits.I still am not bothered by the IBS since I started. If I was going to a barbeque I would have a lean hamburger or chiken. Salade and maybe cole slaw or a taste of potato salade. Have some fresh veggies before you go so you are not tempted with chips and bad snacks. Have a good time , you wont draw attention to yourself if you make good food choices. I stay away from all cakes and candy but I allow myself some no sugar added, reduced fat ice cream on occassion. Check the food labels. I stay away from high sugar. high fat foods. Switch to whole grain pasta and breads. The more fiber the better! Have a great july 4th!

07/04/2011 09:10 AM
violett
violett  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Would one of you be interested in being the group leader on this forum? I really need to bow out because I have too many groups to keep up with. If so, just click the tab above that says Group Leaders. Then go to where it asks if you want to be a group leader. Click on the button and an email to Roy will pop up. Just write in that you are interested and you'll hear back from him in a few days. A group this size should have more than one leader, so don't hold back because you think someone else will want to do it. I'll hang in until we get someone.

You all are a great group and have been a joy to work with.

hugs,

Violett

07/06/2011 11:42 AM
babykitkat86
babykitkat86  

I use cherries in everything... Man does it help.When I do have IBS problems I just eat a handfull of fresh ones. It works . Try it out with a change in diet. Low fat foods and eating small meals helped me control my IBS.

07/07/2011 01:49 AM
Pixie1960
Pixie1960  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hello Monk27,

WAY TO GO!!! I'm really glad that you have found a way to manage your IBS episodes. I'm sure it's a great relief!

You keep up the great job and keep us posted okay?

Hugs,

Kathleen

07/07/2011 01:53 AM
Pixie1960
Pixie1960  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Violett,

I'm really sad that you are giving up your role as a co-group leader with me. I know with everything going with me i haven't been on much and I feel bad about it but I'm trying to make up for it. I'll miss you but I'll catch up with ya on other forums. Take care!

Gentle hugs,

Kathleen

07/07/2011 01:47 PM
Monk27
Monk27  

Thank you Kathleen... It is wonderful not to worry about how close the bathroom is all the time. Now I just eat smaller meals and watch sugar and fat and Voila!! Success... I am also estatic about the weight lose and I know I can continue on with my diet and lose the other 75 lbs.... 29 down so far!! Take care!! and Thank you for your well wishes.. Will keep you posted.

07/08/2011 12:07 AM
Pixie1960
Pixie1960  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Keep up the good work Monk. Hang in there...it will be worth it in the long run.Wink

Hugs,

Kathleen

07/23/2011 05:21 PM
rtg33905

Dummy here, have no idea what the Atkins nor South Beach diet are...am NOT a diabetic but am grossly overweight as since 2006, gained 75#'s, as since back problems started, hard to do a whole lot of exercise to get rid of fat which has accumulated in stomach, t butt, thighs, etc-

Recently too, I gave up diet coke (withdrawals from caffeine alone, took me over a week to get over, without headaches( , a staple of mine-no more carbonated beverages, no more caffeine-I have bought stevia ribudia (sp?) as sugar substitute although not opened it yet (also wonder where I can get the seeds CHEAP to grow it myself)...

Sugar is something I have totally avoided candy, cookies, anything with sugar in it this recent bout of daily runs has been ridiculous as eating, even I have cut way way back and still no weight loss

Drinking 96 ounces of water per day is a cinch for me...

2 Friends of mine have lost 50-75 pounds on no carbohydrate diet but we are talking about almost anything white (potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, along with no red meat, along with certain fruits and veggies only, etc and shoot, they look great, even WITHOUT exercise

Tell me, fill me in...Thanks in advance

07/24/2011 05:51 AM
Monk27
Monk27  

Hi.. I'm not an expert on this but hope I can help. I have been very overweight also, starting when I had kids. Put on weight with them, developed really bad eating habits (lots of junk and fatty foods), and pounds kept going on.

My husband developed type 2 diabetes and I was looking for a diet that would benefit him and also help me to lose weight. My friend suggested South Beach which is kind of like the Atkins(no or real low carbs) but is way easier to follow ,I think. You can go on line and read about S.B and get recipes and what not. first two weeks are strict but after that you can add more veggies and fruits, whole wheat pasta etc.

Laughed at yourcomment about cost of stevia because I did the same thing and bought a bag of the stevia(very expensive!!) and we ended up using the Splenda because we preferred the taste. On this diet I eat no added sugar. I have cut way back on fat but I am satisfied with lean meats and lots of veggies. I switched to everything whole grain or whole wheat like bread and pasta. We have steak or burgers every couple of weeks but we eat more chicken and fish now.No candy or cake,junk food is out now. Sometimes I buy some no sugar added ice cream and we have that topped with some strawberries and that satisfies my sweet tooth. you can have a little dark chocolate too after the first two weeks. The only fruits and veggies I dont eat are like watermelon or corn because they are so high in sugar.

The benefit is my husbands blood sugar has dropped(without meds) and I am at a 34 pound weight lose so far. A long way to go but I am determined.

Another benefit that I can attribute to this diet is the symptoms of IBS that have bothered me for years has dissappeared. YEAH!!! I dont know if it is the reduction of sugar or fat but I am now able to eat out and not have to worry about how close the nearest bathroom is.

I still have a Diet coke a day but I have cut way back. i was like you and totally addicted and I miss it but I am trying to drink lots of water.

I cant exercise much either.. Seems like everything I do bothers some part of my body! LOL.. The arch in my foot collapsed a year ago so walking long distances is painful but I do what I can. I also love to swim so I do that too( hurts my knee but I try to swim thru the pain). Oh well!! Sigh!! This diet works for me because I see a slow but steady weight lose and I am allowed enough to eat to keep me happy.

Anyway, hope this helps some.. Check out Southbeach on line for more details if you think you might be interested in it or they have Southbeach diet books that you can purchase. Let me know if I can help more.

07/25/2011 04:30 PM
Pixie1960
Pixie1960  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hello Lemonfresh and welcome to the group.

I'm gonna go with what is usually Violett's first suggestion. See a dietitian. They are really up-to-date on the different diets that are available and can help you pick one that is not only right for you but one that is realistic as well.

They can get you started and guide you on how to progress to the next level and such. It's not just about controlling symptoms and weight and such but having a healthy, balanced diet that covers all the bases.

I wish all of you lots of luck and success in your new endeavors.

Hugs,

Kathleen

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved