MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/12/2010 06:47 AM

Constipation Decided to Run

janquito
janquito  

Hi Ladies,

I had constipation with IBS probably since I was diagnosed years ago. Some of you may remember I'd started taking stool softener then saying I didn't need to take them anymore because I started getting diarrhea and had talked with a pharmacist just prior to this and he recommended probiotics which I did start taking. He had said if I got diarrhea, it would mean I really needed it. Well, when I take it, my diarrhea gets worse so I know I need it but I don't always take it. I made the mistake of taking one before bed and woke up to find I'd had diarrhea in bed!! Sick I am so glad my husband hadn't seen/smelled it. I was the only one up at that time - hubby was at work. I had to strip the bed, wash sheets and mattris (I have some fibro fog going on so am having problems remembering how to spell so please forgive the spelling) protector, wash myself!, and my pjs. I'd nehad this happen before. I was really disgusted. Has this ever happened to any of you? I'd not been feeling well; I think it was a flare coming on and had/have been really out of it. Well, now I am afraid to even drink water. My stomach makes such horrible sounds. It was going on in church this past Sunday. Last night I'd asked my hubby if he liked my screen saver(jungle with frogs, birds, butterflies, etc. cartoonish). He replied that he didn't know if it was my computer or my stomach! I have been cramping after going to the bathroom and am cramping now. I think this pretty much says it. I probably am leaving something out but wanted to get this on so I could hear from the rest of you. Thank you!Dizzy

05/12/2010 09:18 AM
violett
violett  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Oh my gosh! Yes, it happened to me once. My husband was asleep next to me. I was mortified! There wasn't much, so it just made a small stain on the sheet. I put a towel over it and pulled my side of the covers up over it. Then I stayed up. He didn't notice, and I washed everything and had the bed back in order before he got home from his morning coffee group.

When I was so bad, I alternated between diarrhea and constipation. I used Immodium and suppositories, depending on the day's needs. it was awful. Now that I'm better, I only have occasional diarrhea, probably from foods I haven't yet learned that I am allergic to.

I don't understand people getting diarrhea from probiotics. It has never affected me that way. It helped me to not have diarrhea. I guess everyone is different.

Hang in there. Once I started probiotics, it was at least 3 months before I was better - and then not totally. Soon, I hope.

Post edited by: violett, at: 05/12/2010 09:19 AM

05/12/2010 09:59 AM
janquito
janquito  

Thanks, Violett. Mine was a big spot. Pinch I'm just so glad no one was around to see. I would have been so, um, embarrassed, ashamed, sad, etc. Yes, probiotics does affect us all differently. I used to take them and never was affected at all. I don't know if fibro has anything to do with it or not. So much to deal with. Sad

05/12/2010 02:54 PM
RedGirl

Oh my goodness. I'm sorry you had this happen and it upset you so much. Yes indeed, I've been there and done that. Thankfully when it has happened to me (and it has been 2 or 3 times) I was living alone. And I understand about feeling embarrassed, etc. But I don't know why we feel that way so much of the time. Everyone has to go. It is just that we have problems with going that others don't have.

Probiotics don't generally give me diarrhea (although that much-advertised yogurt -- can't remember the name now) definitely did give me diarrhea. My nurse practitioner told me not to eat that one again. If I take probiotics I usually need to be near a bathroom though since I almost always have to go within a fairly short amount of time. I do eat a lot of Greek yogurt and that doesn't usually seem to bother me and keeps me more regular.

You are not alone, Janquito.

I hope you feel better!

Red

05/30/2010 03:56 PM
PurpleFlower21

happened at school in 3rd grade for me talk about embarrassing! gulp!!! thankfully the school nurse realized that I was not just trying to get out of class and told my mom to get me to the doctor asap. They then got me in to the hospital because the constipation was so bad everyday! and it was so bad that they almost had to surgically clean me out. I am thankful they didnt do that!!!!

06/19/2010 03:58 PM
janquito
janquito  

Oh wow, how awful. Other children can be so rude, too. Glad you didn't have to be surgically cleaned out.

06/19/2010 06:42 PM
PurpleFlower21

oh yeah I am too! I am so so very thankfull for that!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved