MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/27/2011 01:18 PM

Question about full cystoscopy

Blondith

Hello all,

I got into a new urologist today and he actually agrees with me that I might have IC. I'm actually fairly shocked by this to be honest (I expected I'd need more doctors before someone believed me)... Also a little scared, nothing like having someone tell you yeah you probably do have this... good luck dealing for the rest of your life, to mess up your morning lol. He's scheduling me to have the full cystoscopy procedure where I'll go under completely and he'll stretch out my bladder and such. I'm curious for those of you who've had this procedure what it was like for you. Did you have a lot of pain after it was done from the stretching? Did you have issues peeing afterward because you were stretched out? Did you flare after because someone was in there messing with the bladder big time? I'll admit, I'm a wee bit nervous about this. I've never even been put under before... So I'm really just looking for people to share their experience with this exam/test/procedure/whatever you want to call it. Give me an idea of what I might be expecting in the aftermath. Thanks all, and I hope everyone is doing really well with their symptoms right now!

09/27/2011 01:53 PM
AutumnSunset
AutumnSunset  

Hi Blondith & welcome to our group!! I'm glad that you found a doctor, who does believe that ic exists, so quickly!! The urologist that I was referred to never mentioned that I might have ic at all!! Actually I don't think he even believed that I had bladder problems. I had been to several other doctors before going to him, and all had suggested that I probably had ic. Even my GYN told me that ic probably was what I had, but not the urologist!!

My urologist finally did a cystoscope, but I think he only inserted the catheter/camera into the bladder and looked at the inside wall. I do not believe that he extended my bladder, because he proudly informed me afterward, that my bladder looked "fine!" But when I woke up from the procedure, my bladder did NOT feel fine!! I was in a lot of pain, but my bladder was extremely tender before the procedure, so I was expecting some pain - just not that bad. The doctor did not even want to give me anything for the pain (not narcotic), but the anesthesiolgist had already given me something that helped. After the initial pain from the procedure was under control, the pain went back to like before. It didn't last very long.

Needless to say, I never went back to him, but immediately went to my GYN to discuss what had happened. My GYN had previously told me to come to him if my urologist would not treat me for ic after the procedure. My GYN sent me to his Nurse Practitioner who specialized in treating ic. She was wonderful, and her treatment worked for me.

It sounds like your urologist is sympathetic toward the pain of ic. I would double check with him to make sure that he will prescribe something for the pain immediately after the procedure, if you need it. I also have fibro, so I'm very sensitive to pain. I'm not sure if everyone experiences the type pain that I felt after the procedure. Good luck with your procedure!!

09/27/2011 02:24 PM
Blondith

Hi AutumnSunset,

Thanks for your reply! It wasn't as quick a find as it seems. I'd actually posted a little while back in a discussion about "Help, please anyone" where I was looking for advice. I've had the frequency and urge all my life and had been to two urologists about that. One was good, but I moved before he got past trying overactive bladder meds and the ultrasound. Second doc did the basic cystoscopy (just the quick cam like you) and another ultrasound and a couple meds, then because everything looked "fine" and meds didn't help he told me "go to medical school and figure it out yourself." Then I had this huge horrible flare up that landed me in the ER, nothing like I'd ever felt before, and it wasn't a UTI. Got a new urolgist through that who thought it was bladder stones, and the CAT scan was "fine" and he refused to see me anymore because there was nothing more he could do for me. This is the next doctor and I actually went in saying I think it's IC because I'd been researching the web about what it could possibly be and found it myself. So I honestly have no idea if he would have thought of this on his own either, but at least he was willing to go with it and say yeah, sounds like it and it's through elimination of other things that you get to this and such... All of my primary doctors I've had did not think of it either, and the ER had no clue why I had such bad UTI symptoms with no UTI, they didn't even think of stones... So I've had 4 urologists and a bunch of other doctors over a few years trying to figure this out. So it's not fast, but based on the horror stories I hear, I was expecting a lot longer and worse... So I'm still going to be grateful Smile

So best advice at this point is get some post procedure pain pills?

09/27/2011 09:11 PM
AutumnSunset
AutumnSunset  

Oops, sorry, I must have missed the earlier posts. I've just gotten over another major ic flare and missed several days of posts. You definitely had a worse experience than I did with urologists; just the one was enough. I can't imagine dealing with several!!! I wonder what is wrong with these doctors. I know there are a few good ones out there, but the ones that aren't, seem to be really, really bad where ic is concerned!!

Hopefully you won't have too much pain, but from past experience, I'd rather have the pain pills and not need them, than need them and not have them. I would probably make sure the doctor also ordered pain meds while in recovery - just in case you need any. As you can probably tell, I'm paranoid about being in pain. My fibro has made me extra sensitive to pain, plus I had a neck surgery about 10 years ago. The surgeon was very stingy with pain meds, both immediately after surgery and when I went home. I stayed in pain for weeks, just because HIS mom had gotten addicted to narcotic pills!!!!

I suspect the amount of pain you experience afterwards depends upon how tender your bladder is before the procedure, especially if it is stretched!! Again, I hope all goes well!!

09/28/2011 05:24 AM
blondee8257
blondee8257  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

ive never had the procedure done so i dont know what to tell u except autumn is right...i would make sure before its done that he would have a script ready just in case. i can only tell u from past experience that even the thought of an exam, etc, sends my bladder into a tizzy!Pinch lol. i was glad the dr who done my hyster was the one guessed the ic, so thankful to have him. so far the only test he done was in office with the camera and water and that was bad enough! i wish u luck and hope everything goes well! let us know how things go.

hugs,

blondeeKissing

Post edited by: blondee8257, at: 09/28/2011 05:28 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved