MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/16/2011 07:44 AM

What can I do when I'm out of sleep meds?

maggiesdream
maggiesdream  

I do this to myself about twice a year. My husband's doc doesn't give him enough ativan for his anxiety so I share mine and we don't pay attention and I run out. I am addicted to it because I CAN NOT sleep without it , not because i crave it or need it for any other purpose. My record is 7 days without any sleep at all. I tried 2 tylenol pms and 2 3mg Melatonin last night that was night #2 and it didn't do anything , my body is tired but my mind keeps right on going thinking, singing , worrying. Anyway, I can't get my meds until the 23rd so I might set a new record. Anyone have any ideas? I have also tried flexeril a muscle relaxer and it doesn't help my mind go to sleep , just my body a little .

11/18/2011 08:08 AM
maggiesdream
maggiesdream  

Well my mom gave me some xanax and it kinda works but I dream so much and I don't feel rested, its better than no sleep! I think I can make it to Monday and then I'm calling, I don't want to take the chance of not getting my meds over the holiday.

12/07/2011 03:14 PM
sseay

Hi Maggiesdream,

Have you ever considered CBT-I? I've had chronic insomnia for the last 5 months (2-3 hours sleep/night even while on 10mg of Ambien). I working a CBT-I program that includes sleep restriction/stimulus control, etc. I'm on day 28 and I'm sleeping nearly 5 hours continuously. I was using Ambien + Clonazepam (benzo) and it just served to perpetuate my sleeping problems. I had to gain psychological confidence in my body's ability to sleep again. It's slowly coming back. I'm drug free (except antidepressant).

01/11/2012 08:34 AM
maggiesdream
maggiesdream  

I've actually never heard anyone mention it for insomnia, I need it for adhd too but can't afford it. Sounds interesting though.

01/16/2012 04:53 AM
sseay

CBT-I is well documented on the internet along with instructions. You actually don't have to pay anything for it.

As for CBT for anxiety....many psychologists will reserve a few slots for those who cannot afford their full fee. Perhaps you could call around and see if anyone can help you on a reduced fee?

Anxiety just stinks!! The root of it is trying to control the outcome of things we CANNOT control! That's what causes anxiety - it's actually impaired fear. We fear something happening that we are helpless to direct. The key to anxiety is learning to SURRENDER control. It's easier said than done but with discipline, it can get better. For me, placing my trust in God helps me with my anxiety....I remember what God has done for me and I read scriptures and pray (as well as talk with my friends) and that all helps.

Sometimes (at least for me) I assume a worst-case scenario which leads to anxiety. For example, I may see my bosses door closed to his office and wonder if he is interviewing to replace me. If you are the kind of person who generally assumes a worst-case scenario, then you can do your own form of cognitive restructuring. Write down what it is that you fear and rate the level of fear from 1-10. Then write down what evidence is there for your fears to come true. Write down what the probability % is for it coming true. Often times, when we actually take the time to process our anxious feelings we come to the realization that we are "catastrophizing" and going through these steps of writing down we start to let logic help us get a grip on it.

Best of luck!

01/17/2012 12:54 AM
SepC
SepC  

Well if ur out of a script, try getting a script for another sleep aide. Otherwise ud have to know someone personally to get what u want

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved