MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/03/2009 11:37 PM

New to the group

Rtinsley
Rtinsley  

Hi everyone, I'm so glad I found this group! I had a total hysterectomy at 24, I just turned 28. It's been a ruff ride. I hope to make some new friends here that actually understand what I've been going through. I still don't understand it myself Wink Fortunately I was able to have two beautiful biological children. A boy and a girl, but unfortunately when I finally found my true love, my hubby, we were not able to have any children together. I look forward to to getting some much needed advice and giving as much as I can.

04/03/2009 11:49 PM
idom7

HI i am sorry you had a total at such a young age are you on harmones

04/04/2009 12:30 PM
kali31
kali31  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Rtinsley. I too have recently had a full hysterectomy. I am 31. I am in a similar position where I cannot have a child now with my husband.

Why did you have the surgery so young?

04/04/2009 08:19 PM
Rtinsley
Rtinsley  

Thanks for welcoming me to the groupSmile I had cysts forming on both my ovaries and endometriosis. They performed 3 surgeries to try and save my ovaries and the scraped and burned the inside of my uterus and around it to try to stop the excessive tissue that forms. Then they went in and removed one third of my left ovary and two thirds of my right. They also drilled some wholes through the ovaries to try to keep the cysts from coming back. However, that didn't work and I ended up bleeding internally from the last procedure. I was suppose to have a vaginal hysterectomy, but I formed a very large cyst and they ended up going in through my abdomen. They had to take my uterus, ovaries and cervix Sad I was lucky though, the cysts came back benign. It has been a ruff ride though. I never expected the hormonal changes and all the other side effects. The hardest thing for me has been blaming my poor husband for not having another child. I wanted to have a baby when we first got married and he wanted to wait. I know it's not his fault, but I can't help but think if he would have just listened to me. He doesn't understand. I still dream sometimes that I'm pregnantSmile It's been very emotional for me as I'm sure for everyone else. It just feels like I was cheated out of experiencing pregnancy with the man I love. My ex husband was never around when I was pregnant so I had no one to share the kicks and cravings, you know all the fun stuff with. I just wanted to share all that with my husband now. WOW!! I am just babbling on LOL. Obviously I still have a lot built up Smile Does it ever get easier. This has changed my whole life. My husband says I'm not the same person anymore and I'm like, your right!! okay I'm going to stop venting now. Any advise would be greatWink

04/04/2009 08:25 PM
Rtinsley
Rtinsley  

I am definitely on hormones. LOL very strong ones. My doc said I will be on them for a very long time. I got to tell you though, even with the hormones, I still don't feel the same. Do you know of anyone who has had a lack of desire, if you know what I mean, after a hysterectomy?

Blush

04/05/2009 02:11 AM
kali31
kali31  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You really have been through the mill haven't you? I cannot tell you if or when it will get easier because right now I am still struggling so much with it all. I Only had my op in December, I am not even back to work yet, and I feel as if I haven't come to terms with it yet.

Firstly, your desire issue. That is usually caused by a lack of testosterone. I know it is a male hormone, but we women have it too and once you have your ovaries removed your body tends to not bother producing it. In women testosterone is responsible for libido and self esteem. Obviously in caveman days this was to help you procreate. So once your ovaries stop working, your body decides it no longer needs to keep you active in that department and stops bothering with the testosterone too. The great news is it is easily fixed. Ask your doctor for a testosterone level check. If it is low then you will be prescribed a small dose. That should sort you out. In America testosterone is licensed for women in gel, oral and injection form, in the UK in injection form.

It is only natural that you are not the same person you once were. You have had life changing surgery. If you are feeling resentment about the pregnancy situation, perhaps a form of couple counselling will help.

You are welcome to vent anytime honey! And pm me whenever you want a chat.

Take care.

04/05/2009 07:13 PM
Rtinsley
Rtinsley  

Hey Kali, I'm just curious, how long has it been since your hysterectomy. You had said you weren't even back at work yet. I know the first couple of months were the worst for me. The hot flashes and mood swings are almost unbareable when you first start experiencing them. I swear sometimes I thought I was loosing my mind! Literally!!! LOLDevil

04/10/2009 07:53 AM
kali31
kali31  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi. I had my operation on December the 18th, just in time for Christmas!!! I had to have the operation because I had cervical cancer. I have also suffered with endometriosis for 13 years, so it all had to come out. I am physically pretty much okay. But I still get swollen abdomen by the end of most days and I get sore if I do too much. I also get very, very tired. I find it hard to make it through the day without a sleep still. The hormones are a nightmare. I had had lupron (zoladex) treatments in the past, which temporarily shut down the ovaries, so I had some idea of what to expect, but surgical menpause was so much more severe. It has really knocked me for a six. I cannot believe how angry I can get. The doctor tells me this is because when oestrogen levels drop too low the adrenal gland tries to make up for it by producing massive amounts of adrenalin. I also now suffer from regular severe migraines which make me vomit and render me useless for entire days. The doctor has given me medication for this. I am having the HRT implant fitted in a couple of weeks and the doctor is optimistic that this will help ease the symptoms. He said we can then top up with gel or a patch as needed.

Emotionally I am coping with it all, but it has not been easy. My husband has become tired of supporting me with it now. He feels I should be better than I am and I need to just get on with it. So on the face of it, that is what I am doing. But it breaks my heart everytime I cuddle my new baby niece, or see my husband with her. It is just something I need to learn to live with I guess. But I feel less of a woman right now, as if I have lost my femininity.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved