MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/21/2008 05:52 PM

Two years post hysterectomy pain

metalynn

Hello all! I am a 36 year old mother of three (one is a step-child the other two are biological). Both of my son's (7 years and 5 years) were delivered by C-section. Two years ago I had a hysterectomy. I still have my ovaries.

My reason for having the hysterectomy was that I was constantly having my period. My OBGYN performed an endometrial ablasion, but I had my period again within two weeks.

Recently, I have working at losing weight, but whenever I start to work on abdominals, I end up having horrible pain around the incision site. Also, I think I may have a hernia.

Is this normal and/or is there anything I can do?

Thanks for any advice.

Shannon

08/22/2008 06:45 AM
Tink817

I am also 2 years (and3 months) post op from abdominal hysterectomy and am still in pain when I move the wrong way or lift too much. I also had extensive pelvic adhesions from previous gyn surgeries. I believe I have adhesions again from the hyst because of my history with them & it feels the same as pre-hyst. With you having 2 c-sections, I would suspect adhesions with you as well.

I don't know if pain this long post-op is "normal", but I sure am sick of it. The hyst pretty much turned me into a little old lady at age 38. Sorry I don't have a solution for you, but wanted to let you know you are NOT alone. Hope you feel better soon.

08/22/2008 07:03 AM
metalynn

Tink817 - Thank you for your reply. I was beginning to think I was nuts! This sure wasn't something my doctor let me know might be a possiblity.

Do you think this is why they do advise us to not overdo it following surgery?

08/22/2008 07:21 AM
Tink817

You're welcome! Docs are jerks when it comes to informing patients about adhesions. This was also my 2nd surgery to remove adhesions. I don't think adhesions are the reason they tell us to take it easy. We need to take it easy because we need to heal. Adhesions are just a roller coaster. No treatment. They cannot even tell if you have adhesions without cutting you open. They won't show up on ultrasounds or anything. They can use their experience & gut feeling, but no way to know for sure without cutting. The last time I had them, but thought my pain was from the fibroids, it got so bad that I was disabled. I couldn't work at all. Couldn't reach to open a desk drawer, just had to be still all day. Pain relievers don't help them. Heating pads seem to provide some relief, but not much. Adhesions were attaching my bowel, ovaries, bladder & stomach all together. No wonder it hurt to move. The more surgeries you have the worse the adhesions will get each time. I'm playing the waiting game I guess for the rest of my life. I don't want to let it get so bad that I can't work again, but I want to put off another surgery as long as possible because that will just start it all over. GRRRR.

Obviously I'm not a doctor & you should ask your doctor. Women do have complications like bladder prolapse, and other things, so you want to see a doc.

08/22/2008 07:31 AM
metalynn

Wow, I didn't know that adhesions could attach like that. I am really sorry to hear about your situation!

One thing I think I'd also like to find out about is if by doing things, e.g. exercise, and it causes alot of pain, does that create more adhesions?

How would you know if you had bladder prolapse?

08/22/2008 07:44 AM
Tink817

I don't think the docs really know the answer to your question about adhesions. I know from experience that moving the wrong way pulls on things in there, making the pain worse. If you think about it, it makes sense. If you have a mass of something stuck to your organs, of course it will cause more pain when you twist or whatever because whatever the adhesions are attached to isn't meant to be pulled in that direction. I'm not trying to convince you that you have adhesions, you might not. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to who will get them & who won't.

Go to hystersisters.com. Go to the forum. Go to the "Land beyond hyst" section. There are hundreds of women on that site that will give great support and info.

I have no idea what the symptoms of bladder prolapse are. Someone at hystersisters will though.

If your only symptoms are pain when you do strenuous activity, I think that's either adhesions or just still recovery pain. I know when I go to the grocery store, I have to lie down with a heating pad for a couple hours afterward because it hurts so bad in my pelvis. I think it's where they moved my ovaries to.

09/11/2008 04:48 AM
maryannerarick1
littlebopeep1  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have the same problem on my left side cause they took that ovary. The pain that you are feeling tugging and pulling it is called scare tissue. You have to remeber that they were up there cutting and pulling on your insides. After they remove all that have to remove they have to put it somewhere. I know I have pain too but we all have to remeber that our bodies were use as a Sack cut open to remove what ever they need too.I hope that this helps....

maryanne

09/11/2008 06:02 AM
Tink817

No, it's called adhesions. Adhesions ARE scar tissue that keeps growing & growing & attaches (adheres) to other organs. I've had 2 surgeries to remove them now, trying to put off surgery #3 to remove them as long as possible.

09/12/2008 05:11 AM
maryannerarick1
littlebopeep1  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Well I am praying for you. Need to talk I will be here..That's for keeping informed........Please keep me up to date...

maryanne

09/12/2008 05:25 AM
Tink817

Thanks maryanne! Praying for you too. I just re-read my post & it "sounds" kinda snotty. I did not mean to come across that way at all. Hope your pain gets better too.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved