MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/26/2009 12:48 PM

high cholesterol...

angieprnll
angieprnll  

Hi everyone. My doc said that high cholesterol and hypothyroid seem to run hand in hand-- and is def. my case as my cholesterol is definitely high Shocked . Have you all heard this? Any ideas of how to get those numbers down? My doc didn't put me on any meds-- told me to watch my diet.. Any pointers would be great. Foods to avoid.. foods to buy..etc.

07/26/2009 01:45 PM
1magicman
1magicman  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Absolutely they go hand in hand they are like sole mates. when i was diagnosed with hipo my colesteral level was about 400. But diet and losts of exercise helped me out alot. Watch your bread intake stay away from fast foods that is a no no. Watch your fat intake and try not to eat alot of red meat. I hope this helps you a little.

Scott

07/26/2009 04:51 PM
bluefibroangel
bluefibroangel  

Angie, I just found out my cholesterol is high and also have borderline diabetes. Doc put me on Zocor for chol. and said "quit taking it if your muscles start hurting" DUH I have fibro and they already hurt. I tried it and it did make my pain worse so I stopped it. I am going to see a dietition for both so I'll let you know what I find with diet.

Also exercise is helpful for high cholesterol as magicman stated.

Wow magicman 400 yours was really high. Mine is 264 but my triglycerides are also high and good cholesterol is low. I wasn't really surprised bcuz it runs in my family. And my doc also informed me that people with hashimotos disease have a 20% higher risk rate of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and RA bcuz it's an autoimmune disease and can start to attack other organs besides your thyroid. Sucks rightSad

Anyway take care all and I'll let ya know after my appointment.

Hugs Lisa

07/26/2009 07:47 PM
angieprnll
angieprnll  

Thanks Lisa and Scott. Lisa, I have mixed connective tissue disease, so yeah, I get ya-- it does suck! I figure I will do what I can- and TRY not to worry about that which I can't change ( which is super hard since I am a huge worrier- and even more so now)! Mine 266- but low was good and tri was good as well... I wonder why my doc didn't put me on meds.... Sounds like I need it. Look forward to your update.

07/28/2009 07:14 AM
kardie
kardie  
VIP Member

Before I was put on Lipitor for the high cholesterol I was told to try and lower it with my diet. I brought it down some but not enough. I was told no animal fat products. Watch trans fats, not to fry or deepfry but to broil. Common sence stuff like that which I was doing alot of. I was also told olive oil was even better than canola oil.

I have also been taking salmon oil and going to start taking 2 tbls. ground flax, I've been told this is a great way to lower cholesterol. Along with as Scott said exercise.

I have to have my level checked soon and hopefully I will be able to drop the meds.

Kardie

07/28/2009 07:23 AM
1magicman
1magicman  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Let us know what the results are. Interesting to know about salmon oil. I didn't know it existed but only in the fish itself.

Scott

07/28/2009 11:08 AM
kardie
kardie  
VIP Member

My sister-in-law swears by it. Said her Dr. couldn't beleive the change in here cholesterol. I'm using Salmon&fish oils soft gels.

Kardie

07/28/2009 11:21 AM
1magicman
1magicman  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Us folks with hypo that have high choleseral need all the help we can get. Thank Kardie im going to look for it.

Scott

08/18/2009 02:27 PM
aldalton

Since I'm younger (27) my doc told me he wasn't even going to test for cholesterol. We figure it's elevated and until my thyroid is under control, cholesterol will be out-of-whack as well. He didn't see a need to put me on meds for something that will be back to normal once we get my thyroid within a normal range.

He's only going to test once my thyroid levels start testing normal.

08/19/2009 12:07 PM
kardie
kardie  
VIP Member

Good Luck! I hope your cholesterol does go back to normal when you get your thyroid levels fixed. Mine didn't even with a change in diet but I think my thyroid was out of wack for a long time before it was dxd.

Kardie

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved