MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/18/2009 06:29 PM

Weight gain / loss with Synthroid

sejohnson

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and am taking 50 mcg of Synthroid (initial dose). I keep reading conflicting stories about weight gain and loss. I CAN'T afford to gain any weight at all. I need to lose quite a bit. Will this make me gain more weight? If so, I am going to refuse to take it. Also, what about swelling in neck? I can see my throat contract with each breath I take. How long before this swelling goes away?

03/19/2009 07:42 AM
txmedicalfreak
txmedicalfreak  

sejohnson~

Hi and welcome to the group. It takes some time sometimes to get your thyroid levels where they should be. I think that the weight gain is more the hypothyroidism more than the Synthroid. I did not have swelling with Synthroid, I think that it is likely another problem and not anything to do with the Synthroid.

Mandy

03/19/2009 07:50 AM
kardie
kardie  
VIP Member

I actually lost some weight when I started the synthroid.

Kardie

03/20/2009 06:42 AM
Yvonne802
Yvonne802  
VIP Member

I take Levothyroxine and found I initially lost some weight. I think it speeds up the metabolism a bit. Of course now with my eating disorder I have gained some of the weight back. i couldn't afford to gain more weight either.

03/21/2009 02:43 PM
1magicman
1magicman  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

When taking levothyroxine some weight loss is normal and can accrue. But diet and exercise is important to good thyroid health i found out.

Scott

03/24/2009 05:41 AM
Yvonne802
Yvonne802  
VIP Member

1magicman,

I am now 52 and have never exercised regularly. I have a treadmill and thats about all I do when I do it. I am on the Weight Watchers diet so I have control over my diet although on it I am hungry all the time. It isn't much food but from a compulsive overeater it may just seem like its not enough food. I think today I might turn on the radio and dance for awhile. They say dancing is good exercise.

Post edited by: Yvonne802, at: 03/24/2009 05:42

03/24/2009 08:25 AM
kardie
kardie  
VIP Member

Hi Yvonne and Scott, I'm 54 and I started taking Karate with my son last year. I found this to be a very good form of exercise for me. I am one of those people that always plan to exercise but never get at it. This way I do even if its only twice a week. Winter is always a bad time for me, I like to skidoo but that doesn't give me alot of exercise.

Kardie

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved