MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/07/2009 12:59 PM

muscle spasms

mcurle

I have seen doctors about muscle tightness and spasms in my upper back for years without much luck as to what they are from. I read on a website that hypothyroidism can cause it. Does anyone else have muscle pain from their hypothyroidism?

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, but was asymptomatic. They just did a TSH test.

Post edited by: mcurle, at: 01/07/2009 13:00

01/07/2009 01:17 PM
txmedicalfreak
txmedicalfreak  

Mcurle~

I have had muscle spasms in my upper back mainly my shoulder blades. Right shoulder blade could be a gall attack due to stones. I get them in both shoulders from gall stones along with my Fibromyalgia. That is what the doctors have told me but, I have so many things I am not really sure what or which one causes them? Anyway, those are two possibilities hope that it helps.

Mandy

01/07/2009 01:31 PM
KayDesigner

Hi mcurle and welcome to the group. We are so very glad you're here and I am so glad you have posted your question.

I do know that hypothyroidism can cause muscle aches, but your hypothyroidism (from what I have read) would have to be very severe for this to be the case.

I suffer from a condition called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) that causes a great deal of pain in your shoulder BLADES. I also suffer with Fibromyalgia which can cause alot of muscle tightness, throughout your whole body. My Fibromyalgia actually started in my upper back and with the TOS and then over the years, progressed to Fibromyalgia. I have heard where alot of Fibro sufferers also are diagnosed as being Hypothyroid.

Firstly, I am by no means a doctor, but I would highly recommend going to an Endocrinologist to get your Thyroid tested. I learned the hard way, that just having your TSH level tested may not be enough. There is a whole lot that your thyroid does where your body is concerned, and your TSH level is just a simple part of it. An Endocrinologist would better know what you would need to be tested for.

Secondly, I would research or post a new thread on the Fibromyalgia forum. In your research, I would check to see if you have any other symptoms that could be going on that you might really be aware of.

Lastly, I want to thank you again for coming on and posting and sharing with us. I am sure there will be others along shortly to give you some advice. I hope this has helped you some.

Hugs,

Kay

01/07/2009 02:45 PM
Yvonne802
Yvonne802  
VIP Member

First of all let me welcome you mcurle!

I welcome you to a great group that is just starting to grow. I hope you will grow with us.

I have never really had muscle spasms but they must be awful especially not knowing for sure why you get them.

I never hadasymptom that I knew of before I wasdiagnosed. I was undergoing some regular blood work for a med I took. The test showed I was hypothyroid. After diagnosis Irealized I didhave some symptoms just thought they were med related. I hope someone else can help you out here.

Welcome to the group.

Yvonne

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved