MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/26/2010 08:25 PM

How long before meds work?

alwayshappy

I got my diagnosis of hypothyroidism two weeks ago and immediately started taking levothyroxine (25mcg). I am tired of being EXHAUSTED and lethargic and having achy legs and FREEZING and feeling weepy and losing hair and over using lotion, etc.

The nurse said that many people feel a difference in two weeks. I feel NOTHING. Now that I know what's going on I have become impatient.

[If I new two years ago what I know now I would have gotten treatment sooner. I had symptoms but was still in the "normal" range.]

08/27/2010 01:01 PM
faeremoon

It is different for everyone how long the meds take to work. You should be scheduled for a blood test at about 6 - 8 weeks after starting levothyroxine. At that point your dosage may be adjusted, and then another blood test at 6 - 8 weeks.

I have realized that being hypothyroid is a test of your patience, it all takes time. My levels stabilized about 9 months after starting medication. Some people take longer than that.

But hopefully you will see some improvement within the next few weeks.

Denise

08/27/2010 02:03 PM
tallsteph

My 13yo daughter started the same meds at the same dosage a week ago for hypothyroidism. We have not noticed a difference in her energy level or behavior yet. Strange thing is, is she's VERY thin and very active to begin with...so, I'm a little concerned what will happen when the meds kick in. Hmmm....

My 11yo daughter w/ Hashimoto's is not yet hypothyroid so she's not on meds yet, but has more the typical symptoms of a hypo person than my 13yo. Strange.

08/27/2010 09:22 PM
pinkapple
pinkapple  

Hi Alwayshappy. Yes, our body react differently to medication. Some take weeks, some takes months. Age, body size, digestive system, drug interactions, diet, other diseases, are among the factors.

I can't really remember how long mine took to leveled out, it was about a year or so. I'm secondary hypothyroid due to pituitary malfunction. Because of the pit failure, I hv other diseases and that's why I don't really know when the Levo takes effect. I considered it leveled out when I feel good, no more leg pain, no need extra clothes and socks in the house, much better energy. But my hair still drops but lesser and I have obvious eye bags. I used to use lots of lotion before treatment.

From my readings in the forum, most of hypothyroids takes months to feel better.

Hang on. Take care.

08/28/2010 08:53 AM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hello AlwaysHappy ~~~

Welcome to our group ~~~

Different people react differently to medications so it could be up to six weeks before you notice a difference in how you re feeling. At my original dx, PCP said give it 6 and if you don t feel any different, we ll redo the blood work. In about 3 weeks, I was feeling somewhat better.

However, my thyroid was totally non-functioning by the time I was dx d so we ve had a real problem keeping it active. I usually have blood work every 3 months and nearly each time, my Levothyroxine dosage is changed. Sometimes higher dose and sometimes lower ~~~ Sad (I could almost start a Levo drug supply in my medicine cabinet... LOL !!! )

Keep us posted on how you re doing ~~~

Marilyn

08/29/2010 09:31 AM
Ter
TerPosts: 27

Reading this post makes me understand that it's not so uncommon for me to have my ups and downs. I was doing better a couple of weeks ago and no so good right now. Now I see that's not uncommon.

Ter

08/29/2010 11:10 AM
Gannon
GannonPosts: 205

Just remember the thyroid affects alot of things with the way your body functions. You're now in what I call the "repair phase". Its a slow process. For instance, I had abnormal liver profiles, and that went away within 8 weeks of starting medication. How long until you feel better...the answer is how long will it take for your body to get normal again. I felt my worst about 3 months after beginning medication. Yes there are going to be ups and downs. I can not tell how important exercise is ...start slow and be persistent. The only time I truly feel great is after exercise. Try to be as healthy as possible. I have prayed and used music to get me thru the "lows" many times. I listen to 80's music alot, something with a beat that perks me up. Hang in there, before you know it you will feel better!

08/29/2010 04:03 PM
alwayshappy

Thank you all for your responses. I think I am more frustrated now that I know what's going on than I was before. I hadn't even mentioned all the symptoms to anyone because I had no idea that they were indicative of anything. When I was dxd I read the list of possible symptoms and it was basically a checklist of the past two years of my life. As I've learned more I think that my thyroid has been getting more and more lazy over the past 10 years. While I'm impatient for the meds to work I feel fortunate that I found out what's going on before it got any worse.

08/29/2010 05:19 PM
Ter
TerPosts: 27

I believe I've had hypothyroidism for years also. I mentioned it to my doctor and she said I was last tested in 2006 and then the TSH was 4. Still 2006 was 4 years ago I think I was getting sick then.

09/21/2010 07:42 PM
alwayshappy

Still feeling lousy six weeks after starting meds. I had new labs today and am curious as to what the numbers say. My labs were not that bad to begin with my TSH was only 5.7 but the symptoms are pretty significant. I asked for an antibody test as well. I've been reading about Hashimoto's and how it affects the thyroid over time. If this is what I have it pretty much explains my life since my teens.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved