MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/15/2010 06:46 PM

Stress/Depression related to Hypopituitarism

johnnychoi

I am a nineteen year old boy with a history of brain cancer in my temprol lobe.

My cancer was fully treated, however with remission of Hypopituitarism and I have to take Hydrocortisone, Synthrroid, DDAVP, Delateseroyl, and Desmopressin.

In the beginning, I was happy just by the fact that I was alive, however when I was back at school (my grade 12 year), I noticed my fatigue, and other affects caused by the Hypopituitarism and the stress of having to take the drugs in-order to live on I had been very stressed out, and had even considered that it might have been better if I had died, and considered suicide as an answer. . .

Do any of you face any similiar stressed emotions as I do?

If you do, how do you guys manage with your stresses?

Post edited by: johnnychoi, at: 08/15/2010 06:52 PM

08/15/2010 07:28 PM
JordynsGigi
JordynsGigi  

I have had a difficult time accepting the fact that this illness is for life.

I went into surgery a very healthy person.. and after I woke up, I have pan-hypopit. The suddeness and severity is almost overwhelming... once the glow of.. Im happy to be alive, wears off.

Ive had this for 16mos now.. and still occasionally feel overwhelming grief for the loss of my old life, my work, social life... the old healthy me. Ive also thought that dying would be easier than having to deal with this everyday for the rest of my life. But, councelling helped, as well as, talking to others on this site, talking to my doctors, and my anti-depressants.

Understanding that you are grieving your healthy life, and going through the grieving process may help a bit.

Here is a link that explains it...

http://www.mdjunction.com/fibromyalgia/articles/chronic- illness-and-the-five-stages-of-grief

I also have a few family members and close friends, that I can talk and talk, about how much this sucks. They just listen, and let me vent about it. I find that helps me sooo much in keeping my sanity!

How long has it been, since your surgery?? Although fatigue is a sign of depression.. it is also a symptom of adrenal insufficiency, and hypothyroid.. maybe one of your meds needs to be adjusted?

PLEASE talk to your doctor about your feelings of hoplessness, and thoughts of suicide. There are things that can help you get through this difficult time... And, you cant vent here to me anytime you want!

Brenda Smile

08/16/2010 07:09 AM
ITeach91
ITeach91  
VIP Member

Hi Johnny,

I fully understand your pain and sense of hopelessness. I have a pituitary cyst which has caused me to become hypopituitary. For me this was a gradual process, losing one hormone at a time but never feeling "right" until finally it got so bad that I was in a very bad condition and I was finally diagnosed. This was after years of visiting docs and being told that "everyone feels tired." I now know that I have lost growth hormone, sex hormones, ACTH (adrenals), and TSH (thyroid).

Anyway, when I was first diagnosed a couple of years ago - I was very overwhelmed. I was both angry and sad, and felt very hopeless. I cried quite a bit, even at work when no one was around. I realize now it was a grieving process, just as Brenda said. By working through it and facing both my fears and allowing myself to express my emotions, I gradually came to terms with my condition and began having a more positive outlook. I want to tell you, and this is very important for you to believe, that I now feel very well for the most part, and I am extremely happy! I have occasional dips but have learned to adjust my prednisone (which I take for the adrenal insufficiency) in order to compensate. I live a full life, enjoy my family and my work, and I can even exercise again which I wasn't able to do at this level for probably ten years before diagnosis!

Do I have to always be mindful of my condition and watch for symptoms? Obviously, but it's empowering me to get in touch with my body and what it needs - and I respond before things get too bad. If you are feeling fatigued on certain days, rather than "all the time," it's possible you need to start bumping up on those occasions - by small increments. In a normally functioning body, additional cortisol is put out as needed because of extra stress or exertion. Since that doesn't happen in hypopit, we must learn to give that "additional" bump up to ourselves. I am on prednisone, for example, and I'm on a daily dose of 7.5 mg. I take 5 mg in the am and 2.5 in the pm. Sometimes, mid morning or early afternoon, I feel a slump - usually I can understand why - extreme/unusual stress, traveling, unusual physical exertion, infection coming on, etc. I start by taking a quarter-pill, about 1.25 extra. I wait a half-hour. If I still feel drained, I'll take another 1.25. That usually does the trick and I'm better than ever. I would say I have the need to "bump up" perhaps a couple of times a month.

In the case of a very bad infection, (fever, chills, etc.) the deal is stress dosing for days. Has your doctor given you instructions for that? If not, I can discuss as well.

If on the other hand, you are "always" fatigued, and just feel awful on a daily basis, then you need to talk to your doctor because medication may need to be adjusted - either the steroid for adrenal insufficiency, or thyroid is usually the culprit there but really it all works together so it's best to discuss all that with a doctor and get to an optimum dose for you to enjoy your life again. By the way, low thyroid and low cortisol also causes depression as well as a "brain fog" kind of feeling where you're not thinking at your best. So it's important for you to discuss all this - and not take any desperate actions right now! Believe me, you can and will feel better in the future but that will require you to be proactive on your own behalf.

It may help you to also sign up at the hypocortisolism forum here on mdjunction. We discuss dosing and other issues - it is very helpful to learn from others.

I am sending my best healing thoughts your way - please have patience with yourself, be kind to yourself, and love yourself enough to hang in there. Keep us updated on how you are feeling!

Deb

Post edited by: ITeach91, at: 08/16/2010 07:12 AM

08/17/2010 09:16 PM
pinkapple
pinkapple  

Hi Johnny

Being a nineteen, I understand how tough it would be having such a pressing life.

It good that you came here. My doc said the same thing about sharing things with people in the same boat, it helps.

Being a cancer survivor, you are a hero. I agree, endocrine issues can make people live with ups and downs, but over time, you will know your body and it can become less depressing.

Many endocrine related forums here, and all these people are great people. You'll find 'comfort' here.

BTW, live on day at a time, is my no. 1 way of helping me coping with stress. Joining related forums like this, also help me a lot. Going for movies is my another way out.

Take care.

05/25/2011 01:01 PM
newphp

Hi,

im also 19.

ive recently being diagnosed as panhypopit. and am currently waiting to be put on meds. not exactly sure what meds yet though. anyway yes feel really down sometimes, but just remember everyone has some kind of problem or issue, its the way we deal with our problems and continue on ..that makes us truly great and unique.

trust me your nott alone.

if you still feel tired after meds, maybe thy need to increase your dose or check another hormone?

i feel down a lot sometimes, usually really anxious, but i gues that because im not on any meds at the moment.

tc

Smile

05/26/2011 11:38 PM
chanelle5

hi im chanelle ive been hypo since 09 im 20 and ive been suffering with depression for quite some time its scary to think we have to live the remainder of our lives this way im sorry you have go through the same thing as me it sucks to feel sick and tired all the time i hope to think itll get better sometimes i fear it wont and yes ive thought of just taking a bunch of pills and just go to sleep no more pain but were survivors god has given us a second chance i hope you are doing better

05/27/2011 02:41 AM
megsnz

Hey im 27 and was diagnosed with depression over a year ago and was put on medication for it after 6 months i was feeling a heck of alot better and came off them i still have bad days but im alot better now. Its not easy to deal with but make sure you talk to your family and friends. If they dont know whats going on they cant help. I only told one person how i was feelin my parents had no idea untill my friend phoned them worried i was going to do damage to myself.

take care!

Megan

06/02/2011 10:53 AM
Waytoohandsome

Johnny,

It's not you, it's the chemicals.

If you google the phrases " Hypopituitarism " and "depression " in google Scholar ( www. Scholar.google.com) you will find studies repeatedly noticing that hypopit patients frequently face depression, despite full replacement of hormones to the best of our current ability.

One theory why is that the natural hormones we're missing just may have additional components that we don't yet understand that affect mood. So maybe over time they can figure out what is missing. There is an interplay between hypothalamus output of CRH and dopamine, for example, so somehow neurotransmitters like dopamine, serotonin and melatonin may be impacted when our Pituitary ain't showing up for work. If your neurotransmitters are off balance, current neuropsych opinion is.... you're gonna be depressed.

Knowing its not you as much as it is simple chemistry can change your view of it, even if that knowledge by itself doesn't eliminate it completely.

You might find a visit to a neuropsych doctor could be helpful. A neuro-endopsych doctor will know you're not making this up and may be able to help.

06/06/2011 06:15 PM
lucky05
lucky05Posts: 6

Hi Johnny,

I have the same problem as well, been hypopit for 4 yrs nowt after being undergo for surgery in my pituitary for removal of benign tumour(or cushing disease)..Since then my life chance,because of my health issue my energy level always down, feel overly fatigue waking up in the morning been a struggle for me.And I also have Diabetis Insipidus or Adrenal Insufficiency ,life is sucks really, I use to think of suicidal but I manage to correct my thinking because of my family with three girls I keep trying to be positive.Ending our life is not the solution either.We just have to deal with it through our whole life,the good thing I am still alive.When I get depress I have to do something to keep me busy or go out have some fun, but sometimes stress me out, and drain my energy so bad.Until now still trying to work out how to manage my life.

09/26/2012 12:09 PM
mem7109

Hey Johnny I am Chinese like you but I am now 40 years old let me tell you something I suffer all my life and you are just starting to feel it.

At age of 19 someone told me the same thing he said if I were you I kill myself. Well I dunno how to say it is indeed wicked to have such disabilities as this.It really matter how you look at it yourself not other people's word since you will be living this life not others! If you accept to life you must affect your disabilities and face it even the road will be hard you must hang on! In this world anyone who is born with disabilities will not have as good life as a normal person which is true. Stay healthy in the body and mind meaning do alot of exercise and always do things you are happy with. The best therapy I find it 100% useful is keep yourself super busy like get lots of education or get 2 jobs make sure your mind doesn't have time to feel unhappiness instead of working tired. Life achievements can make you feel better if you want a profession a job aim at that goal and aim high if you succeed in your career at lease you have something in your life to cherish about!Try to find a girl who cares about you and have a family you might have responsibilities and not thing about suicide. I hope this can help you! But I tried suicide before and failed. So you should think about if in this life there is anyone who is worth living your life for.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved