MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/20/2011 11:46 AM

hypopituitarism and depression

Lisitabelle

Hi everyone,

I just joined the group because I am searching for some help about depression related to panhypopit. I had a head injury when I was 4 years old and was diagnosed with traumatic panhypopit at 16 as I was not growing and was constantly ill and tired. I am now 48, on my maintenance meds of prednisone, synthroid, evista, HcG. I have recently been really struggling with being depressed and can't seem to "bounce' out of it. Have any of you had depression that was related to our medical condition? If you have, what seemed to work? When I have been sad before, I have been able to manage it. For some reason now, I can't.

Thanks for your help.

Lisa

Sad

11/20/2011 05:34 PM
hypomama
hypomama  

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to our site. I'm sorry that you are feeling so low. You have been dealing with this a long time! I hate to pull the female card - but did you have functioning female hormones through all these years? The reason I ask is that IF you did, you could be hitting that great peri-menopausal stage that can lead to depression. It could also be a sign that some of your hormone replacement needs a little fine tuning. Have you had all of your levels checked lately? Finally, if all of these are in alignment, you may need to be evaluated for depression. Sometimes, that just happens.

One last question - have you ever had your DHEA levels checked? Some people "like us" find their levels are every low and feel better with replacement.

Please let us know how you are doing!

11/22/2011 09:59 AM
JordynsGigi
JordynsGigi  

Hi Lisa,

Depression can be a part of panhypopit, especially if one of your hormones levels have changed. Have you had your levels checked recently? Maybe a dose needs to be increased??

3mos after my diagnosis, I became depressed and was started on anti-depressants. Then, another 3mos. later, I became very depressed. I didnt want to go on anymore, I was sick of pills, it was a very black, painful time. Anyways, I went for therapy, and my anti-depressant was doubled, then I started feeling better. The emotional pain was gone.

I was on them for about 2yrs, and just able to wean myself off of them a few months ago. And I still feel good.

I know anti-depressants arent for everyone, but talk to your doctor about it... depression is serious.

Post edited by: JordynsGigi, at: 11/22/2011 10:00 AM

11/30/2011 02:20 PM
Lisitabelle

Dear Hypomama and Brenda,

Sorry for the delay to your responses. I have never had naturally producing female hormones other than when I underwent fertility treatments. I stopped taking my estrogen/progesterone replacements almost 10 years ago and have been on Evista since. I will be going for my full physical in January and I will ask about the DHEA levels. I also have a hard time keeping my D level up and have been on the high dose regimen multiple times. I will definitely talk to my Dr. about these issues and perhaps I will need an antidepressant. It is nice to have the forum to ask these questions as our condition seems to be very unique and I know no one with it personally. Thank you so much,

Lisa

04/23/2012 07:19 AM
mem7109

Hi Lisa,

I have the same situation you are facing are. I had depression like for 20 years I know how it feels I am now 40 years old. Sometimes I really want to speak with someone about it but unfourtuntely I couldn't since where I live most of the public are facing a prejudice. Only way for you to get out of this is feel good about yourself meet more people talke to friends who really care about you! Do not think about taking mental medicine it would only makes things worse. I tried it doesn't work. Always remember do or some thing you like and feel happy about!! Always keep the good feeling!! Hope this helps!

04/24/2012 05:02 PM
hypomama
hypomama  

Reborn, I have to refute your answer above. Sometimes people DO need medication for depression. One thing we try to do on this site is keep an open mind and help support people. What helps one person may not help another, etc. Depression is a very serious condition and can not be taken lightly, nor does clinical depression go away by trying to just feel good. You are correct in saying that getting out and being around those that care is good treatment though and is better than sitting locked up at home.

I'd enjoy hearing more about where you live if you want to start an into page about yourself.

04/24/2012 06:05 PM
mem7109

Hi thanks!

I would gladly open a page about my stories that is if anyone would want to hear it my life seems nothing but dull boring and grief things not many might want to hear about things like that I am open minded to share if anyone want to!

04/24/2012 07:32 PM
hypomama
hypomama  

Yes, please. Why don't you start a new discussion thread and give others a chance to give you some input! We would love to hear about your life.

04/24/2012 08:08 PM
mem7109

Sure Don't mind at all!! Maybe my story can tell people do not make the ones I did!!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved