MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/27/2012 05:19 PM

Are we unable to feel love?

Lany3104

Hello. My name is Lany, I'm 30 years old, I'm from Brazil and I have Hypopit since I was 2. After years of tests I was finally diagnosed at the age of 7. I did the GH treatment until I was 21. Now I'm on feminine and thyroid hormones. I'm 5'0” and my health is fine.

Today I saw something that really shocked me, a post saying:

Hypopituitarism” is a rare disease that doesn't allow a person to feel love.

I consider myself a cold person but I would never imagine this.

Somehow I feel some disconection over some things like... at a given situation I know I suppose to be feeling something like sympathy or pity but I don't. I really feel like a "wire" was cut in my brain and doesn't allow me to get to that feeling.

Is this true? And why? Do any of you feel the same?

I can't believe this is true... I don't wanna believe~

08/28/2012 10:07 AM
Sonya

Hi Lany,

I was not born Panhypopituitary, I had a tumor, surgery and radiation that left me Panhypopituitary. I don't know if it is a congenital analogy or general. All I can do is tell you about me and see if it helps. After my surgery last year I was what I called "detached". I felt detached from everyone I knew and loved. It was a horrible time in my life. I did not want to socialize with anyone, I just wanted to be left alone and not bothered. I don't know if it was a lack of sympathy, or apathy, I do know that there was something missing in me, I just could not put my finger on it. Prior to my surgery I was a kind hearted, caring and loving person. After my surgery I did not feel that way anymore.

It all got better for me once I started taking growth hormone. After about 2 weeks on the growth hormone replacement I started feeling my self again. I am now more social and do not feel the detachment I used to feel.

I hope I have been some help to you,

Sonya

08/28/2012 12:29 PM
Lany3104

I have PAN Hypopit, I forgot to mention.

I felt awful when I saw this on a tumblr post and comments like: "I wish I had that" or "Let's be grateful for not having this disease". People don't know how a simple comment can hurt and I'm the one that, supposedly, doesn't 'feel anything'.

Now that Sonya mentioned, it is really a detachment. I always want to be alone and I avoid any social interaction and I don't think I was like that when I was having the growth hormone. I need to check on that. I'm glad this can be solved. =]

Thank you very much, you two helped me a lot! And so quick!

I didn't even know there was a support group for my problem, since it's so rare.

I'll be here often, thank you again =]

Post edited by: Lany3104, at: 08/28/2012 12:31 PM

08/29/2012 05:23 AM
dethride

I found this discussion fascinating. Three years ago I got very ill and horrible headaches were the thing I remember most. I theorize it damaged my pituitary in some way.

Since then I have had the detachment that is mentioned above. The things I used to love - gardening, building things, orchard care, etc. - all became chores that I began to avoid. Not only because of the ever-increasing fatigue, but I just didn't care about my life-long pursuits and hobbies that always filled my spare time with fun.

I still like people okay, but it is becoming harder to stir up emotions of any kind, let alone Love.

Things now are very different. Two weeks after I had that severe illness, I told my wife something had changed. It has not gotten better... yet.

09/04/2012 09:23 PM
Sandee88

Wow, I have never heard that before and I have been diagnosed with Hypopituitarism since I was six. Sometimes being around people is too much for me and I need to retreat and be alone sometimes, especially if it's a big crowd. I guess I always thought that that was just part of my personality, and never thought it could be related to my medical problems. I do know that when I don't take my cortef, for some reason I get frustrated really easily and I have tendency to snap and the people that know me best will say, "have you taken your medicine?" But I can say with absolute certainty that I have love in my life. I love my family and friends, the people I take care of at work, my boyfriend, etc., there is a lot of love in my life.

09/07/2012 06:17 AM
hypomama
hypomama  

How did I miss this discussion? I guess I have been too detatched lately, lol. I believe that GH is a big root of this. A sign of low GH is social isolation. When my endo and I started discussion GH replacement and he went over the symptoms of low levels, I kept saying yes, yes , that's me!

As for crowds, I believe the adrenal site has talked about this. It seems to be a common theme for us. I wonder if large crowds and noise is a stressor that requires increased cortisol that we just can't adjust too. I have noticed this change in myself. I have wondered if it is age or pituitary. The world may never know ! Laughing

Post edited by: hypomama, at: 09/07/2012 06:17 AM

09/10/2012 07:54 AM
hypoSaint

I dunno if I agree with this. I was a bit of a shy kid in Elementary school (age 5-13), but not critically so. I was in school plays, and did Speech Arts, and while I wasn't the most popular kid, I had my stable of friends.

In high school I really came out of my shell, and was pretty outgoing. Again was involved in speech arts, school plays, etc..

I never really had a girlfriend though, but I attribute that to my youthful looks and inexperience with girls. Am happily married now, and we're trying for kids.

09/26/2012 11:39 AM
mem7109

Did you take growth hormones I took growth hormones at age of 10 and now I am 40 but at age of 18 I was 5"11

10/19/2012 03:27 AM
ridey777

Wow, I have not heard of this information going around, but I have to lend some credit to it. I was diagnosed with hypopituitarism when I was 19 and I am now 42. I have to admit that when I was in high school I was this bubbling social girl and was very happy. Now I feel a little detached and have been a loner for years. I cannot take a lot of people around me at one time. I crave a lot of alone time. But as far as love goes, that has never left me because I love people in my life so deeply. God bless.

11/26/2012 08:43 AM
GreenMojito

I'm finding all this talk about GH really interesting...I was told that I was GH deficient but am 'not allowed' to take meds for it, and I feel very isolated and alone these days. I don't form attachments anymore; I can barely think straight long enough to get good grades! I've never had a boyfriend, never been in love - rarely been even attracted to someone on a chemical level. I feel alone all the time; like I have no-one and never will. Like I'm always going to be deficient as a human being.

I always attributed this shortfall to generally messed up hormones and recently diagnosed hypothyroidism rather than GH deficiency, though. Now this conversation has made me wonder what role GH deficiency is playing in all of it.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved