MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/14/2010 01:06 AM

Taking DHEA as a treatment

Curiousl1

I had a naturopathic doctor previously offer to treat my hypoglycemia with the steroid DHEA. I was too afraid to do it at the time but have been considering it now.

Has anyone taken this treatment in the past or is currently taking it? The doctor who offered it had used it herself to correct hypoglycemia that she was experiencing from going through med school. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. As many of you as I can get to know it would really mean a great deal to me, I am looking to find support/share ideas.

10/05/2010 03:28 PM
ArmyCM
ArmyCM  
Group Leader

Here is an excerpt from a blog on-line about the treatment of adreanal fatigue "DHEA is thought to counteract the negative effects of prolonged high cortisol levels such as immune suppression and damage to brain cells through over stimulation. DHEA levels decline with age which has caused some people to label it as the master anti-aging hormone. This may or may not be the case but in studies it has certainly been shown to increase energy and feelings of well being. The adrenal medulla (central part) makes adrenaline and noradrenaline, the substances that produce the "fight-or-flight response" when stimulated by the autonomic nervous system, giving that unmistakable short-term burst of energy that enables you to overcome whatever danger is present".

I cannot find much on-line about DHEA and the direct correlation to hypoglycemia, but, it may be of some help. I really don't know. I used to take it, but, don't anymore. I would not take it without asking a doctor for his/her advice though.

W00t

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved