MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/13/2012 03:20 PM

Recovery time after surgery?

Amy262

Group Leader

I've been doing a lot of thinking, and post-operatively how long (in terms of weeks) will I be able to go back to physical activity?

last surgery I had was 10 years ago, it was 'major' in that I had my tube replaced and so had 4 incisions two of which were simply lengthening my already existing incisions...Two days after surgery I was moving around with no problem, a few hours out of recovery I was already walking to the bathroom and back to the bed with some soreness obviously but otherwise I was bored like you wouldn't imagine and feeling well, all things considered though I did get an ear infection which was promptly treated. I was sidelined for soccer for about 4 weeks, which wasn't too bad at the time because it was done recreationally.

All depending on if and when a surgery is scheduled, when would I be able to go back to physical activity? I'm a high performance athlete so would like a ballpark estimate; I know my NS will have the true answer but that appointment's a week away so figured i'd ask. During summer training I run, swim, bike, weight train and of coiurse paddle as I'm a silver medalist in the paracanoe sprint kayaking 200m category. I also have this thing where my body doesn't do staying put for over 4 days very well, I get a build-up of physical energy which can become unbearable.

Last surgery other than soreness I felt completely fine, and I understand the weights part may only be allowed a few weeks after everything else but I'd like to take part in something a few days/a week after my staples are removed so any guesses?

03/18/2012 07:59 AM
KwiteKontrarie
KwiteKontrariePosts: 1541
VIP Member

What kind of surgery are you having done, Amy? A revision? A replacement?

I would think that being in as good a physical condition as you are, your recovery time would be much less than average.

I'm far from good physical form anymore, but when I had my shunt placed, I was back to normal activities after only a few weeks. Three, or four??? But, my life does not consist of intense physical training either! I used every excuse to take it easy, too. I have a husband and kids, and I "allowed them" to be more active in "domestic responsibilities". Laughing So, I'm not a good one to gauge off of really.

Because my hydro was so late in dx (age 37), and I was having so many cognitive struggles at the time of my first surgery (ETV), I still was having quite a bit of "readjustment" (decompression) issues at the time of my shunt placement. Though physically not too demanding a surgery, I was still trying to adjust to a life of low pressure, if that makes any sense to you. So, I didn't push myself.

~Mary

03/18/2012 08:49 AM
Amy262

Group Leader

Unsure if I will have a surgery or not, we'll see in 2 1/2 days from nw but it would be a revision and would only involve re-opening where teh valve site is as that is where my main problems lie. So three or four,eh? I could maybe do that...And I'm much fitter than I look, some stubborn spots won't go away yet as i haven't been able to build a smuch muscle as I wanted so I don't look like I'm physically active Laughing You could only really tell by the way my shoulders have changed, I have much more muscle in my legs, etc. But your answer makes me feel slightly better. We'll see what the NS says, I may not be getting surgery but I'm not ruling it out yet until I see him Wednesday morning so would like to be as prepared as cxan be in terms of expected wait times, etc before exercise. Will also help me give my coach a ballpark estimate of what to expect

03/18/2012 09:11 AM
KwiteKontrarie
KwiteKontrariePosts: 1541
VIP Member

If your just having the valve replaced, I think your recovery should be smooth and quick. Wink

~Mary

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved