MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/21/2010 07:53 PM

Barometric pressure and vp shunts

tiek72707

I've had a vp shunt for about 3 yrs now. On Nov 23 I had my third shunt revision and my NS replaced my standard vp shunt with a strata valve programmable shunt. Since I've had the new shunt I've been getting "pressure" style headaches every few days (pressure behind and on the eyes and my head will feel like it's going to explode if I bend down to pick something up.)

I recently noticed that my headaches have been coinciding with overcast skies and stormy days. I don't see my NS until June so I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this correlation as well? Even if a person doesn't necessarily have a shunt, but just suffers from hydro?

Does anyone get more severe headaches when there is stormy weather?

Thanks for any info!

04/22/2010 04:48 AM
KwiteKontrarie
KwiteKontrariePosts: 1541
VIP Member

Yep!

I can't say that my headaches correlate EXACTLY to the weather patterns, but there does seem to be a significant correlation. Sometimes I get away with feeling fine. Perhaps it might depend on how quickly the pressure changes in my case.

I do have a programmable shunt, but I've not had the settings checked since about 2005 or 2006. We had some insurance changes and I've been reluctant to return to the NS since he was not in network and I can't afford the extra medical expenses. I tried to switch NS, but that didn't work out as planned. Dizzy

~Mary

04/22/2010 05:05 AM
HydroPioneer
HydroPioneer  

Hi Tiek

Oh yes Tiek I call myself a walking barometer. I keep a journal of my headaches and the weather trying to find a correlation and sure enough when there is a change in weather or baromic pressure my head feels it. Humidity is a big factor for me. Especially entering an air conditioned store when the days are hot and muggy. It instantly throws me for a loop of which take me about aminute or two to adjust. Once I adjust I'm fine but the weather changing so often it takes my head for a real ride. I never seemed to notice this growing up just maybe in the last 10-15 years. I have alot of shunted complain about this also so if it makes you feel any better which it won't your head for sure you are not alone.Wink

06/26/2010 11:01 AM
MissAlex1976

I've had my programmable shunt about 2 years, and I get headaches with weather systems. My NS says it has nothing to do with the shunt. But he also says hydro has no effect on the menstrual cycle, and I already know that's not true. Please let me know if you hear something different from your NS.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved