MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/23/2009 04:28 PM

Shunt revisions(page 2)

hblank89
hblank89  

A shunt does not have a specific "lifespan".... I had numerous VP shunt revisions from 1989 when I was born to 2002 when it was removed after the Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy.

My longest VP shunt last from age 3 to 9 years old. Roughly 6 years... my NS did not think it would last that long.

I have heard of a lot of people who have had their VP shunts for over 20 years. I met a guy at the Utah 2008 Hydrocephalus Conference who has only one shunt revision when he was 3 years old he was 33 when I meet him...

06/23/2009 06:19 PM
HydroPioneer
HydroPioneer  

Hi Guys,

I guess I am one of the lucky ones to have my last shunt last over 22 years and this prior one 23 and still going. The other one could have been a VA which went to my heart which leads to ask to those who had a VA were you put on penicillin to fight of infection. I was and that is why my teeth are all discolored.

But there was also an upside wheather it was correlated I do not know during those penicillin days I did not have one cavity. I experiemented to as I working at a summer camp Camp Maromac and I was incharge of tuck which is another word for candy. I was averaging a chocolate bar a day maybe more thats not counting jelly tots. Not one cavity. Upon getting my VP and being taken off penicillin cavities man but I had stopped the chocolate bar a day. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. lol

07/23/2009 08:52 PM
dar1990
dar1990  

I've been shunted since I was 1 week old with 2 VP shunts until January 15th of 2009. Then, I had 2 VPL (ventriculoatrial) shunts placed. I've had 29 surgeries in all. The longest I've had between surgeries is 4 years. The shortest I've had between surgeries is about 2 months. How long shunts last vary from person to person.

07/24/2009 07:35 AM
dar1990
dar1990  

Oh and the VPL shunts only lasted about 2 months before they had to be switched back to VP

11/25/2009 09:45 PM
tiek72707

Hi Mary,

I just had my 3rd shunt revision in 3 yrs! Can you give me the name of your NS? When I suggested that I have a shunt allergy or a sensitivity he told me that he had never heard of such a thing as a shunt allergy and therefore he didn't think they could exisnt because he has been a NS for 30 yrs!

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Nick

11/27/2009 02:33 PM
KwiteKontrarie
KwiteKontrariePosts: 1544
VIP Member

Sure, Nick,

My NS is at the Cleveland Clinic -- Dr Mark Luciano. He specializes in hydro (among other things). He is a great guy. Fantastic bedside manner, and one of the best in his field.

If you find yourself in Cleveland, let me know. If I can get away from my obligations at home, I'll drive up.

~Mary

12/04/2012 03:54 PM
AndrewG

I was born with Hydrocephalus. I had multiple surgeries when I was young. From teh age of 12 to 2010 I had no problems. In 2010 I had two revisions done, one in March and one in May. I have a VP shunt. I have had a chronic headache for about 3 years now. My doctor is wanting to put in a lumbar shunt on December 20th to work with the VP shunt in my head. I am confident that it is going to work. I have complete confidence in my neurosurgeon and what he wants to do. There is always risk when you have surgery.

12/06/2012 03:22 PM
KwiteKontrarie
KwiteKontrariePosts: 1544
VIP Member

Hi Hollie,

I'm not entirely sure who you were addressing, but I'm assuming it was me. Wink

I had my ETV at the Cleveland Clinic with Dr Mark Luciano. My surgery was "textbook" and I did very well following it. However, I was after "perfection" and kind of twisted Dr Luciano's arm for a VP shunt. I may have been fine without it, but I was just looking for drier pants (an end to urge incontinence). As it turned out, the shunt didn't improve that situation, so I probably would have been fine without it.

I can't tell you if the ETV is effective, or not, at this point, because I have a VP shunt currently. Prior to the shunt, I was probably doing just fine, but I was still in a "decompression" stage and it is hard for me to evaluate if the shunt was really necessary. You see, I had undx'ed hydro all my life, so my brain was under tremendous pressure. Once the pressure was relieved it took quite a while for normal neurological pathways to be reestablished. I had all kinds of odd occurrences for months following surgery.

Has your NS suggested an ETV? Or is this something you are looking into yourself? An ETV is not for everyone and only applies in certain conditions of obstructive hydrocephalus. But, by all means, visit Dr Luciano and have him evaluate you. If anyone would know if this procedure would be good for you, he would!

~Mary

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved