MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/03/2011 06:56 PM

Boosting your immune system to get rid of HPV

AvaGuarder

The good news is that most HPV symptoms clear naturally in one year without intervention. The people who suffer from persistant HPV symptoms are typically immune compromised.

I would like to start a discussion forum where we can share tips for boosting your immune system against the HPV virus.

Here are some things that I recommended in a previous post that you can do that have research proving their usefulness in dealing with HPV:

-Increase your vegetable and fruit intake and minimize sugars, caffine and refined foods.

-Drink quality green tea (several times per day)

-Supplement with folic acid, mixed carotenoids, vitamin C, selenium, curcumin, broccoli sprout extract, and an anti-viral herbal support formula, or with an HPV support formula like Papillex.

-Reduce your stress levels. Practice mindfulness.

-Smokers should be aware that this (bad) habit increases one's chances of getting HPV by 5 times.

What has helped you? Any tips to share?

Ava

10/04/2011 07:00 AM
mem908

I have had HPV with mild dysplasia for two years now, and I am not immune compromised. My doctor has told me that there are two particular strands (16 and 18) that are typically more resistant, and I probably have one of those, although I have never been tested as to which type I have. I am actually quite healthy...I rarely get sick, I eat very healthy foods, take vitamins every day, haven't ever smoked, etc. Everyone is different, and just because it doesn't go away within one year doesn't mean that you have a compromised immune system.

But anyway, here are some things I have done to boost my immune system:

- I take a multivitamin every day, and then added on an additional folic acid and beta carotene.

- I try to eat healthy every day, I drink a lot green tea and water. I almost never drink soda or another sugary drinks. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, especially leafy greens and berries.

- I work full-time and go to school part-time, so it's easy for me to get stressed out. So, I try to take at least 30 minutes of quiet time to myself every day to help me relax.

Post edited by: musicgirl50, at: 10/04/2011 07:00 AM

10/11/2011 07:55 PM
billseates

Garlic has helped mine. the no smoking thing is big. I've had it for five years but I do not eat healthy, have smoked some, and drink lots of sodas. Haven't seen it in six months or so, good sign. Heed my warning though if you just got it. Don't let the depression or anxiety that it sometimes causes- general doctors dont often realize how distressing it can be- cause you to live unhealthy because it will only make it worse.

10/13/2011 10:24 AM
sirena6

Green leafy veggies, red grapes, broccoli all seem to be good. I used Red Marine Algae as a supplment.

10/14/2011 06:30 PM
mem7642

Hi everybody! I'm taking a multivitamin with Vitamins A, C, D, E, B12 and Folic Acid. Also drinking lots of green tea. My question for all of you is: Have any of you heard that not taking birth control is good for fighting HPV? All of my doctors said it wouldn't make a difference. However, I've read on a few sites that people encourage you to stop taking it since it messes with your hormone levels. I was just curious...

10/15/2011 07:55 AM
lonelyemo

Has anyone heard of Papillex, or tried it.....I am looking for anything to help! Would like to get a clean one next time around.....not happy about my dr.s sitting on the fence and doing nothing for me so I guess I better see if I can do it by myself......:0)

10/15/2011 10:00 PM
AvaGuarder

Hi 50sKitty,

Thanks for sharing your dietary and lifestyle tips. I have been reading articles on the chemoprotective effects of green tea, so it's great that you're drinking a lot of it as part of your daily routine. Your doctor is incorrect in telling you that there is no connection between a persisting HPV infection and taking the birth control pill. There are studies that prove that women who take the birth control pill for more than 5 years are 300% MORE LIKELY to have a persisting HPV infection. Here is the reference (this was published in The Lancet):

Increase in cervical cancer with OC use for ≥ 5 years in HPV-positive women

A pooled analysis of eight case-control studies looking at the effect of oral contraceptives (OCs) on the risk of cervical cancer was published in March 2002 in the Lancet.1 The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) conducted the original studies in Spain, South America, Asia and Africa, between 1985 and 1997. The IARC analysis1 looked only at women who were HPV-positive.

A duration of OC use of 5-9 years was associated with an almost three-fold increase in risk, compared with never-users, and a four-fold increase for usage of 10 years or longer. These estimates of risk were higher than those reported in most other studies.

Dear lonelyemo,

To answer your question about Papillex, the ingredients do have good evidence supporting there use against HPV infection. Take it in conjunction with a healthy diet and lifestyle for best results.

Dear Sirena6,

What kind of red marine algae are you taking? What are the benefits of it? Thanks Smile

Ava

10/24/2011 06:29 PM
sirena6

I have heard birth control can make things worse, but many MD's disagree. I feel like its better to be safe than sorry - there are other forms of of birth control.

I used Vibrant Health Gigartina Red Marin Algae - it is supposed to help fight viruses in your body. It has been clinically proven to help with all types of herpes and even though HPV is not herpes, it is a virus like that and many people take it for HPV.

04/01/2014 08:56 PM
Geteducated

I have been dealing with HPV since I was 18-19 I will be 31 until I was 22 no one ever said you have HPV. Although I had many abnormal paps. I was treated thru keep and other procedures to rid me of the pre cancerous cells and it was finally a success at age 28-29 but there was a nasty going on that no one ever mentioned to me. I found out I have HPV gentile warts today and more than likely have carried it for years. Due to stress and other problems my immune system obviously weakened and bam I have small bumps places they shouldn't be. I smoke and it is bad for my current condition. What I am doing is quitting smoking along with a healthy diet. Before today I was a semi healthy 30 year old but I was not educated and have been living not knowing what I had. Please be sure your doctor is good and doesn't beat around any bushes. Eat healthy don't smoke and protect yourself.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved