MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/07/2011 01:29 PM

Genital Warts Forever?

sudely

I have genital warts for the very first time, and have been trying to find out if this warts thing is going to haunt me the rest of my life or will it eventually go away.

I know one can get another srain of HPV that gives you warts or not, but assuming I did not get any other strain, does the body eventually stop these warts from reoccuring or is it something that will happen from time to time?

Post edited by: sudely, at: 02/07/2011 01:30 PM

02/07/2011 11:08 PM
sirena6

My understanding from lots of research and from my dr is that it can go either way really. You may get rid of them and never see another again, or you may have recurrences. There are many ways to get rid of them and I found that the only one that has mad them not come back was Aldara. I am not one to promote pharmaceuticals at all, but it worked wonders for me and I know if I did not get lasting relief from genital warts I would have gone nuts. Be sure not to use too much - a little dab is enough and stick with it even if it takes months. It took about 6 weeks for mine to finally work - I was getting so frustrated with using it and not seeing any difference - so bad I would cry - and then one day it worked. It might irritate your skin, but read about it online and talk to your dr about it and there are ways to prevent and help that, Mine got a little irritated and taking a day off and applying some A&D ointment helped. Its not the most convenient thing to do , but it builds your body's own immune support, so theoretically it can fight the virus later on too, so you do not get them back, Mine have been gone for 3 months now and no sign of them. When I have them cut off, they were back within one week.

It is possible for them to go away on their own too, but I think this is unlikely - but not impossible. If you want to try Aldara you should do it asap though - it works much better and faster on the smaller newer warts.

02/07/2011 11:33 PM
sirena6

i have mentioned this on other posts but thought I would add it hear. red Marine Algae is a supplement you can take that supposedly suppresses viruses like HPV and herpes. I have been taking it and while I cannot know for sure it is the reason my test results have been good - it clearly isnt hurting. Google it and see what you think. Just do not take it if you are allergic to iodine.

02/07/2011 11:34 PM
sirena6

just as i hit submit i remembered this too (sorry for so many replies) - Folic Acid helps according to my dr for all HPV - you can get it in 400mcg pills and she said to take up to 2 mg (which would be 5 pills) a day

02/08/2011 09:15 AM
sudely

Thanksfor your replies, when Aldara actually started working, what actually happend to the warts? Did they harden and break or flake off,did it just shrink till it was gone?

If you could tell me as best you can what did you visibly see happen to the wart and what did it feel like.

Thanks.

02/08/2011 09:22 PM
sirena6

What I saw - after a few weeks the very tiny ones got red and the skin a bit inflamed (they were so small that it was hard not to get the medicine on the clear skin too). It was sore and irritated, but the wart was gone and then I put some A & D Ointment (find it in the baby section) there during the day and days off to keep it from stinging or bothering me too much - that only lasted 2 days, maybe 3 - well worth getting rid of the warts.

The larger ones took longer to see results. What I saw was a shrinkage in size and they kind of turned pink (I am white, so if you have darker skin maybe it would look different). They kind of looked shriveled in a way. Then they just disappeared. I think the Aldara website says they flake, but if they do I never say it - more just gradual shrinkage and they turned pink. Those ones i never really felt anything - i think when you first put the cream on each time it tingles a tiny bit - but no pain.

I read a lot of reviews online and people complain a lot about skin irritation and pain. Like I said, I never really had this and let me tell you I was terrified to use it after reading those reviews. But, I am glad I tried and stuck with it. After about 5 weeks I almost quit, but I thought let me give it two more weeks and within one they were all gone. The biggest advice I can give you is work really hard to find the right position to be in to see things well, have a flashlight pointed at the area, and apply the smallest amount needed. You need a thin layer and ONLY on the wart. Do not put it on normal skin if you can help it. Sometimes, for the small ones, I broke a q-tip in half and used the stick part to dab a drop on and let it soak in as to not let it touch clear skin - it was the best way I could find to control where the medicine touched. I also leaned a mirror against the wall and sat in front of it with a flashlight pointed at me laying on the ground - this way I had both hands free.

Aldara is expensive, so if you do not have good insurance maybe you could just fill a little bit at first to make sure you do not have any bad reactions?

Hope this helps!!

02/09/2011 06:56 AM
sudely

I read the average time to get rid of it for men was 8 to 12 weeks, faster results for women, but I was also read how they may flake off.

Glad to know They can also shrivel in size. I have read a few links here of people that said they have had warts or 6 or 10 years, and not to many that say they have been cleared of it for 10 years, but I think it is safe to assume that once you clear it and no signs of it returning continue you began your normal life again and probably don't go crazy on the Internet as much reading and posting.

The good news from aldara us that if you do get rid of the warts with it the odds are in your favor now that your immunity has the virus under control and you should not get a wart again. I hope that is accurate but I read that from different aldara studies online. I think they said only 10% of the people got it back. I also read the longer you go without a break out the better the odds of not having a reoccurrence..

02/09/2011 08:09 PM
sirena6

I sure I hope the aldara built up my immunity enough - i never want that day to come that I feel one again. Even though I know you technically still carry the virus, getting rid of the warts really does make you feel better.

I agree about what you said about internet users - that's why i try to get my story out on this board since its more positive.

02/10/2011 10:38 AM
sudely

I suspect that the positive stories go away since most people I would imagine would like to make this situation history, and once they have been clear for a while they do not come back since they would rather forget. I would assume the ones that do not clear it up are the onesmore likely to keep coming back for support and information. This I suspect would cause more of the negative stories to linger.

When I first looked up Genital warts images on the internet it scared the hell out of me. My doctor told me that most of those images are extreme cases and not the norm, specially if your being treated.

How long since you cleared your last wart from your body?

If you did get another break out are you suppose to get on Aldara again or do your doctor tell you something else?

02/12/2011 10:45 PM
sirena6

Yeah, the Google images are extreme - mine never looked even close to that. I only had a few, they were very tiny and did not look warts - more like a skin tag. I have been free of warts since about 3 months.

If they come back it is again my chouce how to take care of it - I can use Aldara again, get them frozen off, cut off, or just leave them. I would use aldara again since it worked well the first time. I have had them cut off before and they came right back within one week. I figured the pain was worth having them gone instantly, but it was not since they just came back. I rather take the extra time and get rid of them for a while ya know?

If you do ever have yours cut off, they give you a numbing shot first, that is what hurts. Mine were on my perineum area - not a place you really want a needle. But, its really fast and numbs up right away. Afterward I had VERY MINIMAL irritation fora day or two.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved