MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/11/2011 02:56 PM

New HS Institute in Ohio.

jackievoisine
jackievoisine  

The Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) Institute was founded in 2011 to recognize the need for a center devoted to the care of this condition. Based in Westlake, Ohio and located in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio, it is part of the medical “Circle of Excellence” in health care found in greater Cleveland. All of the participating physicians are associated with at least one of the major medical institutions including the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals at Case-Western Reserve University, and MetroHealth Medical Center.

Since HS primarily affects skin, the principal caregivers are Dermatologists: Paul G. Hazen MD, Shaza Daoud, MD and Brandie T. Styron, MD. Consulting experts in the fields of Plastic Surgery, General Surgery, Gynecology, and Internal Medicine/Endocrinology have been included as part of the care-giving team for patients in need of special focus.

Goals of therapy are to be able to provide care for all levels of severity of HS, including both medical and surgical management. Medical therapy is geared at controlling current lesions, and preventing new areas. Surgery may be useful where there is persistence of lesions in spite of medical management. The additional specific goal of surgical treatment is, where appropriate, to be able to carry out the procedure in an outpatient setting, using local anesthesia. Such care is designed to minimize patient and insurance costs, reduce surgical risks, improve patient comfort postoperatively, reduce the incidence of infection and recurrence, and return the patient to a normal lifestyle as rapidly as possible.

An additional goal of the Institute is to provide a resource for teaching – patients, physicians, and the community in general – about the nature of the condition. Through greater awareness and understanding will come better therapies.

Finally, the Institute will also continue to serve as an organization continuing research into the causes and new therapies for the condition. As our understanding grows, so should the effectiveness of our care. The Institute hopes to remain at the forefront of such efforts.

You can visit our website at www.hs-institute.com!

Address

26908 Detroit Rd, Suite 103, Westlake, OH 44145 · Get Directions

Phone

440-249-0281

Website

http://www.hs-institute.com

http://twitter.com/#/HS_Institute

08/12/2011 11:38 AM
CanFizzle
CanFizzle  
Group Leader

Yeah Jackie! Thank you for finding & sharing this info. It's a miracle!!! W00t <3 Candace

08/12/2011 01:57 PM
jackievoisine
jackievoisine  

There website is a tad bit wierd, but hey its a start!

08/15/2011 11:47 AM
CanFizzle
CanFizzle  
Group Leader

Yes I tried to go to the website as well, & most of it is "under construction" but I am excited to see what the final product will be. I also friend-requested them on FB and told them I will be a guinea pig. Tongue

I also asked if maybe they have any suggestions for someone with HS in Oklahoma. I may have a surgeon here in Tulsa, but I am not sure of her HS experience just yet. I am still apprehensive about a surgeon who knows so little about HS... is that crazy? I just want to make sure I pick someone who knows what they are doing & it's not just guess-work. <3 Candace

08/15/2011 12:28 PM
oregonnative
oregonnative  
Group Leader

Never let anyone do surgery on you who is not experienced in HS , much as anyone CAN be that is. Tongue

I have no idea what this thread is , as I just read this last comment that always comes up that way. gotta go lie back down for awhile now. Karen <3

08/15/2011 12:41 PM
jackievoisine
jackievoisine  

Yes I agree with Karen...DO NOT LET ANYONE CUT ON YOU THAT DOES NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT HS! lmao sorry I had to yell but yes only bad things can come of that. Waiting to find someone who knows what they are doing is going to be the best, you don't want to end up all cut up and find out they didn't know to remove all of the tracks... then you went threw that whole surgery for nothing.

08/16/2011 11:56 AM
CanFizzle
CanFizzle  
Group Leader

Thank you ladies! I need the confirmation that I am not just uber paranoid about the surgeon I want. I am picky & OCD with everything else in life so I wanted to make sure I was just not over-reacting to something.

Moutains out of molehills... story of my life. No wander stress is my #1 trigger... ha! W00t <3 Candace

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved