MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/10/2012 11:58 AM

New kid in town

greeniii67

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but not to HS. I've had it since I was 15 years old, and that was almost 30 years ago. To put it mildly, it's getting OLD. I'm lucky enough to have a 15 year old son and husband who are very supportive. I have HS under both arms, in the stomach and groin area, and under the right breast. I had a hysterectomy in April 2011, and the scar from that surgery is not helping the HS out, as it seems as if I'm getting more HS sores in the stomach area because of it. Like many of you, I've tried all sorts of things (zinc, turmeric, antibiotics, betadine, hydrocortisone ointment, and more - but no surgery). The only thing that seems to ward off pain under my right breast is the hydrocortisone ointment applied straight to the sores.

Anyway, I'm thankful for this site. I've seen many comments by HS survivors, and it seems like there are emotional stages to HS, much like the stages of grieving. I've survived through the pain of HS, both physical and emotional, and sometimes I cry just because I'm so tired of being this way. I've been employed in law enforcement since I was 22 years old, and have to wear a gun belt daily. This has been a very painful thing to manage through the years, but I've survived, and become a stronger person inside and out.

My appointment with the HS Institute is on March 13, 2012. I've been thinking about cancelling the appointment, because I'm worried about being able to afford the laser treatments. I promise I'll keep the appointment, though, so I can be the voice for all of you with HS who are unable to travel all the way to Cleveland. I'll see what's available, and report back what I learn to all of you.

My HS Grief Stage right now -

I've accepted HS as a part of who I am.

But I refuse to let it define who I am.

I've almost given up on a cure for this.

But I haven't given up on me.

Love and hugs to you all...

02/10/2012 01:53 PM
oregonnative
oregonnative  
Group Leader

Hi Green, and welcome to the group.Smile So glad to meet you, though sad for the reason you are here. I am truly sorry to hear you have fought this scourge since the age of 15, and for 30 years. You are truly an HS Warrior! I also have had HS for over 30 years, but I was 35 when it first bothered me enough to notice much.

I am proud of you and happy for you that you haven't let this horrible disease define you or run your life. And never give up on a cure, though I have surely been right where you are, and even now I sometimes think, "Well, maybe not in my lifetime, but someday the others will see a cure." But mostly I try it think that it is right around the corner and we will all get the benefits of a cure or at least a universally effective treatment. Hoping the HS Institute will help bring it about.

Make yourself at home here and jump in the conversations any time, or start your own, whichever the muse strikes you at the moment. Laughing

Karen

02/17/2012 11:51 AM
CanFizzle
CanFizzle  
Group Leader

Hello Green & welcome to our little family! Smile

We are so pleased that you have found us, but I am sorry to hear that you have battled HS for so many years. It's painful enough to hear you describe wearing a gun-belt daily & the wear & tear that can take (or add) to your HS. I can understand because my job physically demands a lot of walking, driving & heavy-lifting, all of which strain & add stress to my HS areas on both sides of my groin & on my buttocks.

I am so excited that you are going to the HS Institute & your appointment is actually about a week before mine! Please do keep us informed on how everything goes (with the appt. & with YOU in general) and I just wanted to remind you, that your statements on how you feel about your HS right now are accurate- you cannot let it define you as a person. However, you also cannot give up! Like Karen said, it's hard to imagine, but the cure could be right around the corner! It will be a great relief to know that one day we will all get to experience the universal cure that doctors will marvel over! W00t

I also wanted to tell you to not get discouraged about the financial aspect of the co2 laser therapy. Do you currently have health insurance? From the documents they have provided me, they seem to be very willing to work with insurance provider's to help cover the costs of the surgery. Plus, perhaps Dr. Hazen & his associates will have another methos of treatment that would work for you. I am hopeful that no matter what, you will get the care & treatment that you have deserved for the last 30 years! ::hugs:: <3 Candace

02/23/2012 11:23 AM
indianamom
indianamomPosts: 35

Hi Green,

I just came across your post and I wanted to let you know that you can call in a precert to your insurance company for the co2 laser. I'm in the same boat you are in right now. My husband and I are okay to pay for a treatment, but if I need multiple treatments (not sure if I would or not), we definently couldn't afford to keep paying for it, so I called my insurance company today and asked for the precert department to get an idea of how much my insurance would cover. You will need the diagnosis and surgery codes and most likely the tax id number (the hs institute told me these codes when I was scheduling my appointment) when you call. I submitted the precert over the phone and now I am just waiting to see if my insurance company approves it! It is kinda confusing, so if you have any questions, let me know. I just rather know going into the laser surgery what I'll have to pay, rather than hoping my insurance will reimburse me afterwards. Hope that helps a bit. Smile

02/23/2012 11:28 AM
greeniii67

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've got "issues" (as I call them) in so many places, these procedures may conceivably take years, so it helps to know what I'm up against.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved