MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/27/2012 07:01 PM

seeing a plastic surgeon tomorrow

Volleygirl7

Hello--I have an appointment to see a plastic surgeon tomorrow. I have had HS for about 5-6 years, but was just diagnosed in July 2011. I am in stage 3 of the disease. I have daily drainage in both my armpits and the tunnels or tracts. They never heal. That is why I am going to see this plastic surgeon. Has anybody ever had this surgery to remove the glands that is causing the daily drainage? If so, has the HS popped up somewhere else on your body since the surgery? Let me know.

I was also on another support group and some HS sufferers get relief from taking turmeric (the spice). You could add that to your list if it is not already on there.

Thanks, Volleygirl7 Smile

03/28/2012 07:58 AM
oregonnative
oregonnative  
Group Leader

Hello Volleygirl7 and welcome! I and many others here have had surgery to remove the sinus tracts , follicles and apocrine glands that are the villians in this thing they call HS. I had mine in 2000 by a dr. who had little if any experience in treating HS. He was just a surgeon, MD who was a friend of my pcp. lol Still he did the best he could with his limited knowledge of HS.

Others here have had more extreme treatment, what they call Wide Excision surgery which you can go type that in our Search box at the top rt of the page and it will take you to discussions by those folks. Plus, I'm sure when some of them see your post they will tell you about their experiences.

You can also click on their names in the discussions and see their profiles. Many have pics and talk about it in their diaries.

I know it is confusing at first to navigate the site, but is really east once you explore and look at the different forums and read the Articles.

If you have any questions about that at any time, please just ask and we will help you out. I promise you can't get lost in the maze forever.

Karen

04/02/2012 01:17 PM
mem5264

How did it go with the plastic surgeon?

04/04/2012 11:30 AM
CanFizzle
CanFizzle  
Group Leader

Hello Volley & welcome to our little family! W00t I agree with Karen in hoping that your plastic surgeon is knowledgable about HS... I personally, have yet to have surgery for my HS on both sides of my groin & buttocks, but I DO know that there is a new facility in Westlake Ohio called the "HS Institute" and Dr. Hazen and his team are very rehearsed with HS, so if your new plastic surgeon cannot help you out- you should absolutely get into touch with them! Their website is: www.hs-institute.com and they reply to email's rather quickly. Smile

I am also as curious as Doves to see how the meeting with the new surgeon went. I hope that you can give us details soon! Laughing <3 Candace

05/02/2012 04:16 PM
Volleygirl7

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I didn't know I had any messages. My surgery is scheduled for May 21. No skin grafts will be done. I am a little nervous about it, but hopefully it will help. I see the plastic surgeon again on May 15 and will ask more questions. Sorry it took so long to write back. Thanks for writing.

05/10/2012 01:06 PM
CanFizzle
CanFizzle  
Group Leader

Volley- So your surgery is getting closer... are you scared/nervous/excited??? I am all of those emotions, for you! Blink So since you are not having skin grafts done, does the surgeon plan to keep the wound open to drain & heal? Best of luck with your recovery! I personally have HS in my groin & on my buttocks, so I do not have any advice on how the healing process will be for you. I can imagine that you will not be using your arms for awhile, but I wish you the absolute best of luck! Please let us know if you find any new information out when you visit with the surgeon on Tuesday. ::hugs:: <3 Candace

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved