MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/25/2010 12:27 PM

Hiatus Hernia and Chest Pain.

MacD

Hi there friends, can anyone tell me why the Hiatus Hernia causes so much chest pain that resembles heart attack symptons? I'm aware there are many other symptoms the HH causes, but its the deep chest pain that can be from the middle of the chest move to the left side towards the armpit! I know every sufferer experiences different symptoms but for me, its the previously mentioned chest pain. If anyone has any idea why this is, please let me know. Thanks in advanced. Mac

09/17/2010 08:28 PM
Larkshy
Larkshy  

Hi!

You might find this article about HH pain useful: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hiatal-hernia-pain.html. It includes brief information about why it can be painful.

09/18/2010 06:11 AM
MacD

Hi Larkshy,

Thanks for sending me the link. It has useful info.

Mac

09/20/2010 05:03 AM
Larkshy
Larkshy  

MacD - it's my pleasure. If we can help each other, it's all good isn't it? The pain factor was something I'd been wondering about too.

09/27/2010 12:56 PM
hollesarah
hollesarah  

I too have pain that feels like a heart attack. It really stinks. I don't think the ER doctors realize just how bad it feels. They always act like I am overreacting. It is so frustrating. Just hang in there.

10/24/2010 04:39 AM
Larkshy
Larkshy  

After weeks of going well, I had two episodes of pain this week. I know there's no harm in saying I feel unwell, but I tried to pretend I was alright and kept working and conversing ... I was thinking "can I finish this conversation - it hurts - can I finish this conversation - I can't say my hiatus hernia hurts". Why?

11/08/2010 07:20 AM
hollesarah
hollesarah  

I know just what you mean. You don't want people to think you're crazy....... or worse, call an ambulence which will cost a fortune and not do any good. There's not really an easy answer to that one. I guess I would just say it. Say "I have a hiatal hernia and it hurts like hell. I'm gonna take these meds and be better in a while. It's not as bad as it looks or feels. Please excuse me."

That pain is so nasty. I wish there were a way for quik relief when it comes on. So far I just take a zantac, a xanax and wash it down with Maalox and wait about a half an hour.

If anyone knows a better way for quick relief, please share. I have been searching and searching.

11/09/2010 03:01 AM
Larkshy
Larkshy  

Thanks. I think you're right.

I just want to present as being like everyone else in the room. But I'm not any more.

In Australia (where I am) if you're an ambulance subscriber there is no further charge for an ambulance to come and pick one up. But it would be a waste of the paramedic's time to come out for a hiatus hernia.

Maybe there should be a tshirt? "Don't call the ambulance! I have a hiatus hernia." Laughing

The pain settles pretty quickly for me, so I shouldn't moan.

Wishing everyone many pain free days and nights.

Post edited by: Larkshy, at: 11/09/2010 03:01 AM

11/22/2010 01:00 PM
hollesarah
hollesarah  

Man, I wish I didn't have to pay for ambulences. I'd have to shell out around $3000.00 or so. Just going to the Emergency room costs over a thousand.

With my luck, I will have a heart attack and think it's the hernia, then I'm really in trouble! Hopefully, it will be a long time before I have to worry about that. Not too many 30 year olds have heart attacks.

11/26/2010 01:20 AM
Larkshy
Larkshy  

It costs us about $50 per year for ambulance subscription. Free for pensioners. It's a good deal. I went to the emergency room a couple of weeks ago (not in the ambulance) and the ER fee was $240 because it was a private hospital. I had chest pain that was clearly not about the hernia. Am I doomed to have chest pain? LOL. It was about inflammation the rib cartilage, so it was okay. It must be hard to even think about going near a hospital when you're going to be up for thousands of dollars.

I've wondered about whether I'll know if it's a heart attack and not the hernia if that day ever comes. The first time the hernia acted up, I was convinced it was a heart attack. Argh!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved