MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/12/2010 12:11 AM

Surgery

Barretts
Barretts  

Hello everyone.

Just an update I had my med. hiatal hernia fixed last year.

I went in to have a scope lazer surgery done on my esophagus because of Barretts. Doc had me do alot of test instead. My esophagus was red and inflammed with sores.

So I had the surgery. They also took a fourth of my stomach and did a 360 wrap around my esophagus with it.

I no longer need stomach pills. I have to watch what I eat. I can only eat 5 small meals a day. If I over eat, I get really sick.

Still got to deal with the Barretts though. Ugh.

Has anyone had this done? How did it work for you? Any questions on the matter?

01/12/2010 12:13 AM
Barretts
Barretts  

The wrap done was to form a new LES. Sorry I did not elaborate better.

Any questions you may have I am open to answering. I just hope I can help someone in this matter.

01/12/2010 03:49 PM
aikatrine

what do you eat with hiatus hernia? Did anyone come up with the magic formula------Nutrtion is so important--waiting for advice-thank you

01/12/2010 04:28 PM
Barretts
Barretts  

Lets see, No caffeen (which is nuts-but got to follow), no chewing gum or sucking on candy (creates air in your stomach and esophagus-not good), no chocolate, only drink 2% milk (less fat is the better). Use as much olive oil as you can. I eat 5 small meals a day. Large meals are out. Over eatting causes nausa. See with what I had done, I am not suppose to belch or throw up. Throwing up causes acid to come up. With exceptions of the above I eat pretty much everything else. I do limit my intake of red meat. I eat alot of chicken and fish. I use spices in very small amounts.

I do not know if this helped you. Please let me know if you need more information let me know.

Did you have your hiatus hernia fixed? If you like I can tell you about the test I took.

01/12/2010 04:57 PM
Barretts
Barretts  

Since my operation though, I have been having alot of gas built up. Sounds gross but because I can not belch. So it comes out the other end.

When the gas does not come out, I really get sick. I feel naused and feel like I need to puke, but I can not.

Is anyone complating having surgery done?

01/15/2010 09:19 AM
aikatrine

Thank you for your advise. I find it difficult eating 6 times a day, but I am trying my best! I juice fruit and vegetables . I also eat raw vegetables. I am out most of the day and have to take my food in a brown bag--------No, I am not having surgery---------Keep in touch.----------

01/18/2010 07:58 PM
Barretts
Barretts  

I know it is difficult to eat small meals, but it helps the digestive system. I try not eat spicey food. Once in a while I do slip. Those dang commercials do not help.

Eat mostly chicken and fish, red meat and pork once and a while.

One thing about brown bagging it is alot healthier and cheaper.

Surgery helps with the acid but because I can not belch, the bloating in the stomach is hard to deal with.

Keep in touch.

Christy

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved