MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/30/2010 09:58 AM

Suboxone or Heroin?

whyme711

My husband says he hasn't used since I confronted him, he started taking suboxone the next day, but I haven't watched him take it so I don't know for sure that he has been taking it. I read that if you take suboxone while your high on anything else it will make you sick, so from today on I am holding his suboxone and I'll give them to him when he needs it and watch him take it everyday. Of course I sill have suspicions of him using, but I know that once he is clean ( off suboxone too), he wont use again. I know that the only reason he would be still use would be to not feel like crap, cause he has to work M-F 9-5. He has had the same job for 7 years. He is only 23 years old. in the union, makes $22 and hr! Yes this is the same guy were talking about here!

Sometimes his pupils are small and his behavior is similar to heroin and pill use but he says it's the suboxone that does that to him, and that he doesnt feel high. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Do any any addicts know if its possible he could just be getting high after he leaves for work and before he come home? How long would his high last? After he gets home I keep a pretty good eye on him, but I don't know if he would need to use once he got home. I am so confused... I don't know if I'm just paranoid, but I don't want to back down unless I know it's just the suboxone that make him look high. Please help?!

04/30/2010 11:47 AM
Sunsign73
Sunsign73  
I'm an Advocate

When my husband was on suboxone, he had no appetite. From the research I did, if they did heroin while on suboxone, they would get very sick. I know he was taking it b/c he would do it in front of me so I could watch him. Do some research on suboxone and get acquainted with how it works. Since the suboxone did work well for him, he went to a methadone clinic. That works very well for him. The methadone makes him sleepy and he has sweet tooth cravings alot. If he doesn't eat within a certain time from of taking his methadone, he acts really loopy. I did research on both suboxone and methadone was I would get an idea of what to expect and how it works. Sometimes I wonder if he's sleepy b/c he's high...but he hasn't had a dirty drug test in 9 months and that's one of the side affects....so I guess I'm still paranoid too. It all goes back to trust. They broke our trust, now they have to rebuild it.

05/19/2010 05:06 PM
sinead12
sinead12  

I'm currently on suboxone. You definitely do not get high off it but I have noticed that my pupils get a little smaller after a while.

Since starting taking the suboxone, I haven't used Heroin but I have been warned several times by my doctor and my drugs worker that if you take Heroin either before or after you've taken suboxone you will go into serious withdrawals. She said that it's worse withdrawals than if you just didn't have heroin for a day! So that has made me stay off the Heroin cause the thought of having those withdrawals terrifies me. Have faith in him.

Sinead x

05/20/2010 04:54 PM
dopesicker

u wont get high off heroin while on suboxene even if you use it i know this from experince i tryed several times

05/30/2010 12:22 PM
whyme711

Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice. He is now cutting down so he eventually wont have to take it anymore. This is tearing me up inside... he still acts the same as when he was on anything else, I am so sad! I feel like I have lost my husband for good! He definitely isn't the same person, he's not a bad person now, just not the same man I remember and it breaks my heart! I miss him so much!

05/31/2010 05:41 PM
sinead12
sinead12  

It will get easier, he is just trying to cope without the addiction. For me it wasn't just about using - it was the routine and I know it might be a bit weird to hear but some people miss that (maybe not your husband) but that's what I found hard. I live in a small town and I have to walk past two people's houses where I could get drugs from. It is SO SO hard. It's easier to take drugs than face the 'outside world' and all it's difficulties. But I now know that is not normality. He will realise soon that the life he was leading is not normal - but have patience. He is really lucky to have you. Stay Positive Smile You both can get through this.

Sinead x

08/06/2010 07:20 PM
knoumt01

From my understanding, if you take Suboxone after taking heroin, you will go through horrible withdrawals, since the buprenorphine (Suboxone's main active ingredient) essentially rips the heroin off of the opioid receptors. If you take heroin after Suboxone, you won't experience much of anything, since the buprenorphine is tightly attached to the receptors. It essentially blocks the heroin from taking effect.

However, if you take a very large dose of heroin or are taking too low of a dose of Suboxone, you can still get high off of heroin after taking Suboxone.

Suboxone makes my pupils somewhat constricted but nowhere near the pin-sized pupils that I got from heroin.

08/07/2010 08:13 AM
sinead12
sinead12  

Hi,

I take Suboxone and I know that your pupils do go smaller after taking it so he may be telling the truth. Also if he takes heroin and suboxone, he will feel very ill as the suboxone has something in it (can't remember the name) but it reacts with the heroin so he would go into withdrawals which would be very unpleasant and I don't know anyone who would want to feel that way.

Take care,

Sinead xxx

09/11/2011 12:43 PM
sweetpolly
sweetpolly  
I'm an Advocate

Whyme... he would have to take such a high dose of heroin on suboxone that it's usually not even something addicts will try more than once. Depending of what brand he's on, most of the time it's a mix of buprenorphine and naltrexone. Naltrexone will immediately knock any narcotic out of your system, it's what er's give anyone who has overdosed to save their lives. Buprenorphine is a narcotic, but it blocks the receptors for all the other drugs like it, so it's impossible to mix it with any other drug like it and feel its' effects. The naltrexone is there so if someone tries to inject a liquified version of that strip or the pill that they can't get high on it. Suboxone doesn't typically give the taker any kind of "buzz" unless the dose is wrong. My husband was jittery and hyper until his dose was dropped. Now, methadone (that generally doens't have too may side effects) is a whole different story. If that's mixed with a benzodiazapine like valium or klonapin, it's an instant, nodding off high.

Is there a reason you want him off suboxone so quickly? He may need to stay on it so he can't revert to heroin. I know the idea of staying on a blocker isn't appealing to most of us, but if he's on it long enough and at the right doses, he can have a better chance at not relapsing. Too soon off and he could fall right off the proverbial wagon.

SP

01/23/2012 06:46 PM
bupeuser

he can get high off heroin if he's on a low dose of suboxone. i usually take 2mg every night around 9 or 10pm.. when i first quit heroin 2 months ago i had a 14 year heroin habit. i never went over 4mg of subs because from all the research i did... high doses are to keep people hooked. 1 dropped down to 1 mg of subs for 2 days then did heroin for 3 days. i was able to do subs again 20 hours after my last heroin use.

If u want him not to use heroin, keep him on a higher dose of subs. i think the standard is 8mg. with subs less is more . very little withdraws are felt after a small sub dose. but with a small dose u can get high 24 hours later. if i was on 16mg i dont think i would have felt it.....

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved