MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/04/2009 04:21 PM

Mother of a Heroin User has a Question

sailor1

My adult son has been on H for 3 1/2 years, he has been to rehab many times, now he's in a methadone program and still doing heroin. I kno this is very dangerous, but what can I do? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you,

Sailor 1

05/04/2009 06:02 PM
getincln

I have been a heroin addict for nine years, and i now have sixty days clean. I wish I could give you some advice, but it is very hard. The only thing i can tell you is your son will have to hit his rock bottom to clean up. I hurt many people during my active addiction, and made many mistakes, but it took me loosing everything including my mom to quit. My mom told me she would be there for me when I wanted to get clean, but that she would have nothing to do with me if I continued to use. This amongst many other things made me want to stop. I started going to NA meetings and this is what has helped me tremendously. I would tell your son to try a meeting it might help him and good luck i will pray for you and your son

05/05/2009 02:53 PM
sailor1

Thank you for your words of encouragement and congratulations on 60 days. My son is getting methadone in the morning and H in the afternoon. His father thinks M is great, my other son and I do not, do you have an opinion on Methadone? I thought my son had hit the bottom recently spending 5 days in jail and going through detox while therel, once being homeless...I have detached physically and somewhat emotionally and I will not give him a dime. I have been conned out of thousands. He is not going to meetings at this time, although he should, he always seems to find someone to relapse with when he does go.... Thank you

05/05/2009 09:32 PM
getincln

If methadone is used properly is can work, but you can also get high off of methadone and many people do. I also feel that when on a long term methadone program you are just substituting one drug for another. Sometimes what seems like rock bottom to us isn't the addicts rock bottom. If your son is going to NA meetings and finding people to relapse with than he isn't serious about getting clean. I hope your son makes it through this and maybe you should try an al anon meeting. Good Luck

05/06/2009 11:15 AM
babiixmbee

Hi, I have been a heroin addict since i was 16 and I am now 20 years old. About 6 months ago i hit rock bottom and i was living on the streets and i had noone by my side but my boyfriend. My boyfriend was trying to get me help for the longest time but I didnt listen. Finally I did and my family and my boyfriend got together and took me to a methadone clinic and it helped me tremendously!! Im not going to lie, I did use while I was on the methadone for the first two months than something in my mind clicked and I said skrew this im not going to use anymore and it is now May and I started detoxing about 4 weeks ago. Methadone is safe and yes you can get addicted but make sure your son doesnt stay on it for too long. I was starting too get addicted after 6 months so put him on the methadone for 6 months than have him detox. Also, tell him detoxing off methadone isn't half as bad as detoxing off heroin is. Online it says that detoxing off methadone is worse than heroin but its not true thats only if you take yourself off of it completely. I was on 50 mg. throughout my whole methadone program and i maintained that dosage because I didnt want to be on 150 mg like some people. Now im detoxing 2mg each week and its very safe. I mean I have my days that I get the sweats and get cold but not that bad at all. Tell him to stick with the lowest dosage of methadone that he can. I believe methadone did better for me than rehab did. I had nowhere else to go when i wanted to get clean and it was either me getting clean or me dying so i decided to go the methadone route. Please tell him to hang in there and he'll be ok and to stay strong..but you also have to remember I understand your his mother and my mother was the same way and she was so worried but you have to remember like my mom said he decided to do the drugs he shouldnt expect getting off of them were going to be as easy as getting on them. If he ever needs anyone to talk to or if you do e-mail me. babiixmbee@aol.com I hope your son is okay.

Marybeth

05/06/2009 02:19 PM
sailor1

Thank you, I agree he is substituting one drug for another. He wants the easy way off heroin, my fear is overdosing and how will he ever get off methadone. I have been to support meetings, but should probably start going again.

Stay strong and thank you.

05/06/2009 04:06 PM
sailor1

Thank you Marybeth for answering and being honest. A question for you is how did you kno how much heroin to use when you were on methadone? My son is up to 100mg of methadone and claims his receptors are full and he couldn't get high from H if he tried. I know he is lying I know the sound of his voice when he is using, I am glad methadone is helping you In a way it is helping my son as he hasn't swiped my credit cards lately or given me a BS story about owing his dealer or getting his kneecaps broken, thnaks and good luck.

05/08/2009 10:16 AM
bull

Its up to him.Can,t you put him in a in hose rehab.I know they cost a lot od money .my son is worse than yours.Jail is the omly thing that would stop him

love

BullSad

05/08/2009 10:21 AM
bull

my son has been useing for many years.Now he is in prison for the second time for this.If prison isn,t rock bottom ,then what is????

bULL

05/08/2009 02:53 PM
bull

I,m in the same boat.My son is in prison for the second time for his addiction.shop lifting to sopport his habit.He is also bipolar I don,t know what to do at this stage.He is 31

Bull

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved