MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/13/2010 07:02 AM

My son just out of inpatient

WorriedMother

Hi, I have a 16 year old son who has been out of inpatient for 10 days. (He was in there for 46 days) He was in there for herion addiction and for smoking pot daily. He has smoked pot twice and got drunk once since he has been out. He is having strong cravings for heroin and wants to get on Suboxone. I am not sure that I want him to get on this. He is so young and they have not done clinical studies with this drug for people his age. He said that he smoked the pot to take away the herion craving, and he said that it did. He is attending NA meetings, but does not have a sponser yet. He also starts intensive outpatient 3 days a week, this week. I am confused.... I am just not sure that it is ok to substitute one drug for another (Suboxone). I know that you have to be weaned off this drug. Will the cycle just start all over? I am so scared.

10/13/2010 11:38 AM
Sunsign73
Sunsign73  
I'm an Advocate

Suboxone has great success for heroin addicts. It's supposed to be better than Methadone. I'm not sure if he can get addicted to Suboxone...I don't think so but I could be wrong about that. My husband tried suboxone but it didn't work for him. He's on methadone and is weaning down now. Methadone has worked wonderfully for him. He needs to find a program that works for him. Smoking pot to get rid of the heroin cravings concerns me. It leads me to think he'll slip back into old habits. The suboxone and methadone help tame the cravings from heroin. He should distance himself from the people that are users and avoid activities that will put him in that situation. It will make it harder for his recovery if he's around it and not strong enough to turn away from it. With all this advice, the only thing that will really work is his determination to stay clean. He has to want to stay clean. If he isn't truly ready, it won't matter what medication he takes. He has to do this for himself by himself. No one can make him stay clean. You can support his recovery, but you can't make him stay clean. It might help if you go to a support group or something like that so you have support through this b/c it is hard...very hard. But remember, it's hard for them too. Stay strong and positive. We're here to help you and listen if you need us to.

10/13/2010 01:07 PM
WorriedMother

I do feel that in some ways he is slipping back to his old ways. He has cut off contact with all of his old friends except for 2. One of them just got out of rehab 10 days before he did and one drinks alot. He is just not getting it that hanging out with them is just going to make it harder for him. He thinks that they can support each other because they are going through the same thing. I think as a teenager it is hard to make new friends (sober ones) His attitude has improved alot since he has been back home. Hopefully outpatient will give him some really good support. I know I need to take care of myself and that it is up to him to do this, but it is SO hard to mentally deal with this. I am just trying to keep the communication open with him (which seems very good right now) Thanks for your response.

10/13/2010 05:48 PM
Sunsign73
Sunsign73  
I'm an Advocate

The mental part is the hard part for us as supporters. We can't seem to let go of the thoughts...they seem to consume everything all day long. we can't seem to turn oour minds off as much as we want to. Stay positive. I know it's hard.

10/14/2010 09:16 AM
sinead12
sinead12  

Hi,

I can understand your worry about your son getting addicted to another drug. But I cannot speak highly enough about suboxone. When I started taking it, it was like a fog disappeared. The way I was thinking changed so dramatically, everything was clearer and I was more positive.. it really was amazing. Also with suboxone - it's not like methadone which people can be on for years. Has your son got like a drugs worker/counsellor. Because you can discuss with them a plan to the best way to take the suboxone. Most people are advised that a rapid detox from the drug is the most effective. But I'm not doing that. I'm on 8mg at the moment (was on 12mg) and then when I feel ready, I am going to do a rapid detox. When I reduced my dose, I really didn't feel any effects at all. I think that most people do it in about 4 - 6 weeks. I really would advise your son to give it a try. There have been so many success stories through suboxone - it really has changed alot of people's lives. You should do some research about it on the internet. Would you not rather your son be on a suboxone program that is supervised than going gettig heroin everyday?

Let me know what you think. Take care.

xxx

10/14/2010 04:13 PM
WorriedMother

We will find out on Tuesday if the Dr. will even consider giving it to someone who is only 16. I guess we will take it from there then. Most of the things I find on the internet are people that are on Suboxone, talking about how it is helping them. I am not finding information from people who are no longer taking it. Thanks!

10/22/2010 06:07 PM
miciak

My niece was on Suboxone for many months and yes, it did help her withdrawals, but Suboxone is very addicting - you have to be tapered off of it very slowly. She went to an in-house re-hab facility for 30 days. She was detoxed for everything, Suboxone included.

Came home and started using Heroin again probably within a week. I don't think her parents are taking her back for Suboxone, because it's my understanding that most users take Suboxone until they get more heroin.

10/23/2010 09:25 AM
sinead12
sinead12  

I have been reading about suboxone and it can be very addictive if you are on it for a long time. It is swapping one drug for another.....but I'd rather be on a suboxone program than have to use heroin everyday. Suboxone stays in your system for 37.5 hours so that if you do want to use heroin whilst you are taking it, you do not feel any effect whatsoever.

x

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved