MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/07/2011 04:53 PM

should i move out from recovering addict boyfriend(page 3)

Sunsign73
Sunsign73  
I'm an Advocate

Be careful. Addicts use every excuse in the book do avoid what needs to be done.

04/07/2011 06:45 PM
Slingersss
Slingersss  
VIP Member

Relapse is very common, and it is critical that they jump right back into recovery and more treatment. It takes more than a month or two to become stable, in fact I would say it sometimes takes years. My son is on his 3rd relapse but he was sent by the court immediately to another intensive in patient treatment center.

I can only hope and pray that it will "stick" one of these times, and maybe it will be this time. But, just getting clean is only the beginning. He then needs to go to outpatient treatment, and NA meetings etc. I have heard others say they can have cravings for years......

Alpine girl, I am so sorry for you and your daughter. It is so disappointing all the time to watch them struggle through addiction. Let us know how she is doing. And, hopefully she gets back into treatment, FAST.

Newmum, congratulations, it sounds like you are becoming stronger, and are now controlling your own life. We DO love success stories, so keep posting. I love to hear happy endings. You have your whole life ahead of you and a wonderful daughter to raise and enjoy.

04/07/2011 06:48 PM
Slingersss
Slingersss  
VIP Member

Aint that the truth, Kelly. How many times have I heard my son say....he didn't have a problem, he could control it, he could stop at any time.....blah blah blah. Yeah, right.

04/09/2011 10:26 AM
Sunsign73
Sunsign73  
I'm an Advocate

Shari, you are right about the cravings last years. My husband has been free from heroin for over 1 1/2 yrs. now and he admits to having a craving every great once in awhile. Once an addict is in a treatment program for awhile, they become more confident, which in turn gives them the power to say no to relapsing. My husband is weaning down by 5 mg and he said he never realized how such a small amount can make such a big difference. The first day he was jittery and felt alittle off, but he made it through. It does take time, but it does happen as long as the addict has their whole heart in it. My husband had tried to quite a few times before this last time, but he couldn't make it past the one month mark each time. This last time was different. He changed EVERYTHING. He moved out of the area, changed his cell phone number, moved in with a fantastic role model (a recovering addict), started going to a new clinic and cut off all communication with the people that used with him. He's been free from heroin ever since. He's now weaning off of methadone b/c he said he doesn't want to be on any drugs. His goal is to be off the methadone by the end of this year. I told him to take his time if that's what he needs to be successful. Each recovery is different and moves at a different pace. I'm proud of the accomplishments he's made. I don't know how hard it's been, but I can only imagine.

Addicts can get clean if it's what they TRULY want. They have to be in the right mindframe for it to be successful.

04/09/2011 04:00 PM
Slingersss
Slingersss  
VIP Member

One and a half years! That is great! The longer he goes, the safer he will be. This is such good news to hear. I hope some day my son can get here too. He has actually changed his tune is now finally admitting he has a problem. Which is getting there.

He may even get re-hired at Boeing company after being laid off 2 years ago. They have been calling him for interviews. I think getting a job, a real job, it will help him with being structured. I sure hope he can make it stick, this has been a heart breaking journey for me, with too many ups and downs. I want OFF the roller coaster now.

I am so happy for you, Kelly. Your story gives me hope. Hearing your story reinforces that hope for me too.

Hugs, Shari

04/10/2011 05:57 AM
chiefrocca

i have been to 3 detox 4 rehabs 2 out patitents jail bunch of times hospitals too many times too count. i could never get it cause i thought it was impossible to get clean. while your running the streets you see people try to get clean and i always seen them come back. there is not one person i ran with that stayed clean. i was so tired of my life it was either find a new way to live or overdose. i tried to do as many drugs as possible to overdose and i would wake up in the hospital alive. i said enough is enough i went to rehab and tried and listened and stopped trying to everything my way. i thought i knew what was best for me always but my thinking always got me in trouble. there is hope out thereif an addict can open there eyes long enough to find it. now i take AA meetings into detox centers to spread the message of hope. i know these addicts sitting in rehab are not believing there is a better way but it is amzing what the program of AA can do for someone when they want it. i have a group of friends that call me everyday and they dont call for mon ey or for a ride they call to see how i am doing and just to say high. it is amazing after years of drugging and not ahving anone that cared about you and now i got my family anf friends. God didnt want me dead that is why i am alive he has different plans for me. i just let go and let god and live one day at a time.

04/10/2011 06:17 PM
themmerle
themmerlePosts: 383

Good for you for doing the meetings at the detox. You bring those so early in recover a huge message of hope. I know that Brad told me that there weren't a lot of "young people that he could relate to in the meetings he attended". He needed someone that he felt "represented him and his path" to get his attention. God has given you a gift, Justin...you touch people and I think that many will follow you out of the dark hole of addiction.

04/12/2011 05:04 PM
Slingersss
Slingersss  
VIP Member

Justin you give us all hope. I sometimes cringe hearing your stories, but knowing how you have recovered, inspires us all. So glad you are here on this group with us. It really gives us that other perspective, that we need.

04/13/2011 02:55 AM
chiefrocca

thank you for the support it really means a lot to me. I know what brad means it took me a little while to find a group of people in recovery that are doing the right things and like to have fun. we go out and bowl and do other things a group of us and we have sober fun. i didnt think life was fun unless i was drunk or high. Now i am starting to see life is beautiful without drugs or alcohol and i wake up the next morning without a hangover or dope sick. Slingersss wow i keep the really bad stories to myself and other addicts i dont want you parents too see everything that goes on in an addicts world i will save the bad stories that will make you not wanna read them for another time. the stuff i have seen in my life is too much for most people to handle. once again thanks for the support

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved