MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/15/2012 07:44 AM

care at home for heroin withdrawal

Spinner3

I'm trying to help my son through the first week of being off heroin. Does anyone know how I can help him feel better without drugs?

04/17/2012 08:31 AM
Klworkman

How are the withdrawals going? My son is a recovering herion addict clean for 5 months. He did not have bad withdrawals thank goodness. He was nauseas a little and had spasms or twitches that his body would go through. We tried suboxone last year but that only made it worse because he would take that and still do herion which made him sicker. No drugs is the best way I feel hang in there.

04/19/2012 12:16 PM
LGPNY
LGPNY  

When my fiance went through it, we had suboxone, which helped for him because he wasn't using heroin at the same time (which does make you very sick). All we could do the couple days he had to spend clean before suboxone was treat the symptoms. He was hot, I put a fan on him, I massaged him, I gave him over the counter tylenol or advil, excedrin for headaches, etc. My fiance also used to take a lot of showers, usually cold. I'm not sure that it would help everyone, but I guess it helped some of his body pains. Good Luck! The first 3 days I hear are the worst. You're support and help are most important right now for him.

04/23/2012 08:05 PM
ihuids

This is probably a bit late but maybe someone else can use this info. I got a supplement (from EarthFare Foods)for my son called

Pain-Eze put out by Rainbow Light. It has California poppy extract, magnesium and manganese. It helps most with muscle tension. I also got alot of bananas into him for the potassium. Immodium helps some. Unfortunately I have been through this a few times with him but we all know that this is a disease with alot of relapse. I try to remember the Winston Churchill quote "Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." I also try to remember that at any given NA meeting you will find at least a couple of people who have been clean for over 20 years. Gives me hope. I sincerely wish you luck with your son.

04/26/2012 04:05 AM
quinntwo

Nice quote, ihuids! I detoxed my daughter a couple of times, and it is rough. The detox is just the beginning as you all know. The truly difficult part is staying clean. I suggest inpatient or at the very least a daily outpatient rehab program. Good luck and hang in there. Hope this is the time for his recovery.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved