MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/02/2012 04:44 PM

weaning off heroin, is it possible?

beinspired

Ive been using dope for about 6 months now. I started out snorted but moved to iv'ing it about 2-3 months ago. Im getting tired of always having to be working towards getting a fix. And always being dirt poor.

I've tried to quit a few times now but can never do it. It doesn't help my boyfriend and his two friends who do it as well, live here too. Since withdrawals are SO hard I was thinking about trying to wean off. Like going from doing 7 bags/day to 5, 3, 2, 1 half and than none.

So my questions are;

Has anyone ever been able to do this before is it possible?

If so at what intervals did you dose and what amt?

how did you get your mind off dope in between doses.

How long did it take to totally get off how many bags?

And what are some tips or advice????

Thanks so much for any help, I kinda feel alone here because everyone does it..

04/09/2012 01:37 PM
LGPNY
LGPNY  

I've never heard of anyone doing this successfully yet. My fiance is a recovering addict and he says that if you can get through the first 3 days without it, you can do it. But, then again he ended up going to the suboxone clinic. If you have the ability to lessen your dosage, then try it. Use just enough to get by, but remember there is no way to dodge the agony of withdrawal. You just do it or you don't. My fiance stayed in bed the entire first few days of recovery. If that's what it takes then so be it. I heard someone at an AA meeting the other day talking about drugs saying that he would make himself stay home because he knew if he left he couldn't do it. Best wishes to you, seriously. You aren't alone. If you have insurance, look into a clinic or detox center. & try to get your boyfriends support in your recovery. If it's around it will just prolong your recovery and make it that much harder.

04/10/2012 01:15 AM
Pen125
Pen125Posts: 177

Hi,

Before anything else, let's assume you do wean off. Withdrawal is something you will experience anyway. It will be good if you have someone taking care of you then. My brother used to withdraw by himself and he suffered a lot.. Anyway, let's say you go past the weaning and the withdrawal.

What next? Living with people who are using is your ticket to failure in your recovery.

This is your life you're talking about. Junky boyfriends and junky friends are of no help if you are dead serious about recovery. Trying to get another addict to walk the road of recovery with you is a big no-no. You might get angry reading such words, but this is the truth.

Do your homework about where help is offered. You can do this and you will feel great about taking your life back.

Good luck and keep this forum posted.. You will find great help in here!

Post edited by: Pen125, at: 04/10/2012 01:16 AM

04/10/2012 03:22 PM
fleabag73
fleabag73  

Pens DEAD ON, I'm a recovering heroin addict myself, and I was VERY lonely when I kicked. I didn't have any friends, but that's OK, they weren't my TRUE friends anyway. Fuck, I've tried EVERYTHING to rid myself of heroin, but nothing worked. You either have Suboxone, or do it cold turkey. Kratom is a great tool, it's cheap as hell and tastes like shit, but it will really help with the BRUTAL W/D's associated with H. I've been clean from H since 09/05/09 but I was still supplementing with RX pain meds which are nothing more than a substitute. I LOVED the ways opiates made me feel, and the mind erase that accompanied them. THAT'S why tapering off them recreation-ally doesn't work. You TRY and discipline yourself, but you can't shut off that part of your brain that WANTS more. That's addiction for ya. I never saw it for what it was, perhaps if I did, I would't be some 38 year old junkie trying to start over. Heather

04/11/2012 01:54 AM
Pen125
Pen125Posts: 177

Heather, I respect you for telling it like it is. I think I've told you before, but I'm going to say it again: you have been of great help to me. So much, that words can't say, a true eye-opener..

I wish my brother could have a talk with you... He's still in a deep whole full of denial, though. It breaks my heart.

Anyway, what you have done for yourself gives me hope and I'm very thankful for that.

Take care!!!

Post edited by: Pen125, at: 04/11/2012 01:54 AM

Post edited by: Pen125, at: 04/11/2012 05:18 AM

04/27/2012 03:05 PM
beinspired

hi,

sorry I stopped checking the site because i didn't think anyone would post back. but today i decided to check just in case and saw all of the posts.(thanks by the way)

well i did try to wean off and u were right, its just to hard with everyone here doing it. but hey i did get down to a bag a day for a while... then i tried to go cold turkey and on day two as i was flopping around on the floor like a fish out of water, my boyfriend was hovering over me like "come on, just do a shot, stop torturing your self like this"(idk but i think he really wants me to stay on H) after a few hours of his pleading i gave in and did a shot...... plus my boyfriend just moved another one of his friends in here that does it too, so that doesn't make it any easier. it suxs being in non-stop pain and being surrounded by people who are all getting right, and looking like they are feeling GREATSad... and i dont have insurance so going to a clinic isnt a option for me. my bf says if i really want to quit i have to fully not want to do it anymore. and have to be ok with it being alll around me. ....(guess im weak bc it suxs)

lately ive been buying sodium ascorbate(pure vitamin c) in hopes it will help me with my withdrawals. Ive been reading up on it and susposly it has worked for some people. has anyone every heard of this helping? and tips? we'll I guess ill see if it works.

As far as moving out, yeah i no that in the end i will have to. as of right now, i need to save money first, i moved out of my home at 15 and have been on my own every since. so i really don't have any family i can go to. just myself. it suxs bc i love my boyfriend more than anything, but after he got in this(been dating 2 1/2 years) about 9 months ago, he's changed. And im not sure he'll be able to stop. even if i can stop i no he'll just keep taking all my money for it..... hey thats why i started in the first place, i was tired of never having any money. i figured if he was gonna take all my money for it, i should be able benefit out of doing it too. HA big mistake, now i see there is NO benefit from it. i could never imagine it would be this addicted. i use to think i was strong minded. guess i was wrong...... thanks again for any words of wisdom or help it is greatly appreciated. peace n love, peace n love.

04/28/2012 06:43 AM
ihuids

You are strong minded otherwise you would not be visiting this forum and trying to quit while you are surrounded by it where you live. I can't imagine it getting much tougher than that.

I have heard that large doses of vitamin c help. Also, california poppy extract and extra potassium and magnesium.

Please keep focused on you! I wish you well.

05/08/2012 12:07 PM
beinspired

thanks

05/08/2012 06:59 PM
beinspired

Well I FINALLY got 5 suboxone today!!! THANK GOD! i have been begging my bf and all his roommates to get me some but for some reason or another they never can. well we just happened to meet up with someone who had them so i pressured my bf to get them and promised to pay for them and ................THANK GOD he did!!!!!! Lol well i guess now i need some advise on subxone. i want to do a fast detox, i don't want to become addicted to subxone. i was thinking about doing a 4-5 day detox, like take half the first day, half 2nd day, 1/4 3rd day, 1/8 4th day, than none.... will this be almost pain free??? should i do it less days?? thanks for any advise and the sooner the better i cant wait so start this and get free. i want to start tomorrow.. thanks again, peace and love --- peace and love Smile

05/09/2012 11:29 AM
Sunsign73
Sunsign73  
I'm an Advocate

I wish I had the answer for you....but I don't. I'm on the opposite end of this equation. My husband tried suboxone, but it didn't work for him....because he wasn't ready for it. He quit taking it so he could get high again.

Good luck to you....I hope you succeed! I'm pulling for you!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved