MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/02/2012 11:19 PM

Newly diagnosed! Advice!?

StNineOne

Hi I'm new to this group new to all of this I just found out im positive for hep c 3 days ago. I started partying when I was around 15 when I turned 18 I started iving opiates then in 2010 I got clean well started suboxne ever since then I don't party I don't do anything I turned 21 just a few days ago and I get hit with this bombshell! So I kno I've had to of had this a couple years but no symptoms. Just really scared at this point can't stop crying! I'm going back to my primary care dr with the results from the blood work (went to a health dept) he said he's gonna make sure it's a false + then we would go from there. He doesn't make me feel better about all this. He's pretty much one those drs everyone goes to for pills. Any advice would be awesome!!!!

05/03/2012 05:58 AM
eif
eif  

Welcome and its going to be okay, You will go through a whole range of emotions. sad mad denial greif. But it will be okay. Some treat some dont.

05/03/2012 08:06 AM
StNineOne

Yea definitely regret

05/03/2012 09:52 PM
sogood
sogood  

Hey StNineOne! Welcome to the group!

Here's an unexpected emotion for you to consider: Rejoice!

You are fortunate to have caught this early and you're young. My husband got his the same way you did (he was 21) and has apparently carried it all his life (he's 74 now). Because he was not aware he carried the virus, he was not able to get treatment and he just found out recently he has cirrhosis (advanced liver damage). If he had known early and had gotten treatment, he would have a much healthier liver today.

A piece of advice: Besides abstaining from drugs, it's important to know how harmful drinking alcohol is when you have Hep C. Did I say harmful? I mean deadly. The doctors say it's like “throwing gasoline into a fire”. If you want to help the disease get worse, drink.

Get back to your doctor (a hep doctor) and discuss treatment options. I have hep c also – got it from hubby – but I caught mine early. I found out because I donate blood periodically and they notified me. Point is you got an excellent chance of living long and healthy if you are proactive; the sooner you treat your hep c, the better for your liver.

You mention you feel regret. You know, we all do at some point. I'd like to encourage you to take that emotion, and turn it into determination and purpose. Maybe by sharing your experience with friends you may influence someone, thereby saving them the grief that you are experiencing now.

Keeping you in my prayers,

Carolyn

05/04/2012 12:46 PM
eif
eif  

Your so right Sogood. But I would like to add why drinking can be deadly it makes the virus do the happy dance and make more and more copies. I have been struggling with depression real bad since my heart attack in Jan then my vl was only 8 mil but because I have been binge drinking again it is now 20 mil. got the call from the doc yesterday. and VL dont mean anything other than how many copies you have but that is what destroys your liver. Lucky my fibrosure test says I am a 1 but that could change so fast.

05/04/2012 03:47 PM
ylangbrz
ylangbrz  

Welcome StNineOne!

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know you must be very upset. The shock of a Hep C diagnosis is like a punch in the gut; especially I'm sure, after working hard to break an addiction (and good on you for having begun that process). Give yourself some time to grieve. I think this is an important first step in healing ourselves. We must all go through this. As a little more time passes and you come out the other side of grief, you'll find a new energy to work on conquering this dragon and you'll start lining up your ducks.

and DON'T PANIC! Most importantly, you are young. Time is definitely on your side here! It probably feels like you must do something drastic right away, but you do not want to, and don't need to, rush into thoughts of treatment certainly not before you get educated on the important steps necessary to start that journey.

You can start here at this site, reading posts, and writing down your questions.

Important: Do you have a personal physician? Do you have health insurance? Do you have personal support? Can you stop drinking alcohol or will you need help to do that?

You will be surprised how strong you will become and how determined you will be to do what you must to evict this unwanted tenant from your body and your life and we are here to help guide you.

You'll having plenty of caring support, so keep posting and jump right in when you have questions.

Take good care!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved