MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/24/2012 12:46 PM

INFORMATION

sanford

Dear SANFORD,

We get lots of questions regarding biopsy and if there is any alternative. The good news is that several blood tests are reliable enough to act as substitutes for biopsy. They have been used in Europe for years. Unfortunately, most American doctors are unaccustomed to these blood tests and still choose biopsy. It is important to know that while still the gold standard, biopsies are not without risk. Blood tests, which are much less invasive, are nearly identical to a biopsy and should definitely be considered as an option.

Fibrospect, FibroTest and Fibrosure are three of the most well known tests. Be sure to discuss them with your doctor when considering a biopsy.

Click here to read more about one of these tests at one of our earlier update posts or visit Hepatitis-Central.com for more information about liver biopsy.

05/24/2012 12:49 PM
eif
eif  

I have 2 gastros and the fibrosure test is all they will do, Now the one in Louisville told me he would be glad to order a biopsy for me but it is only as good as the sample they draw. You blood will tell everything about you on the other hand.

05/25/2012 04:10 PM
sanford

There is still no general agreement on what Viral Load is considered low and what is high in Hepatitis C. This interpretation makes sense for people not currently being treated - for someone who is 6 months into an INF + RIBA trial, even 200,000 could be considered a high titer.

(Numbers are Virus Equivalents per Milliliter)

below 200,000 very low (undetectable by *bDNA* test)

200,000 to 1,000,000 low

1,000,000 to 5,000,000 medium

5,000,000 to 25,000,000 high

above 25,000,000 very high

Once again, please note that this information is not written by an MD or medical expert. Nothing can (or should) take the place of appropriate medical care.

05/25/2012 05:33 PM
eif
eif  

viral load is only a number some folks with a low vl can have cirrohisis and some folks with very high vl have no damage. Me I have 20 million copies and no damage. Still scares the crap out of me. but it is only a number

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved