Ask a Question
04/18/2012 03:43 PM

new and scared

laur86

Dies anyone wanna give me some insight on my earlier posts/

04/18/2012 05:34 PM
eif
eif  

'Sorry dont know what you are in reference to. Ask again. Maybe it just didnt come through

04/18/2012 05:42 PM
laur86

I'm sorry...but I was just wondering I have my 1st appointment on Tuesday and was wondering what that entails?? *also* I was told my viral load was 159980...and was wondeering if that's high, bad and what does it mean? Thank you

04/18/2012 05:51 PM
eif
eif  

viral load only means how many copies of the virus you have in your system and that is all. I have 1.8 million and only stage 1 fibrosis and type 1a (hardest to treat. Or that is what it was last yr still waiting for my results this yr.

1.the doc will probly talk about your tx plan - options. If they suggest a biopsy maybe ask about a fibrosure test. It is a simple blood test no down time, no risk and they are very acurate.

2. Depending on what type you are will depend on the type and legenth of treatment.

3. Make you a list of questions and dont let them leave the room until you are finished asking them.

4. Request and keep copies of all your labs.

04/18/2012 07:43 PM
laur86

Thank you...is my viral load high? I'm just concerned and worried. Thanks so much.

04/18/2012 09:04 PM
ylangbrz
ylangbrz  

Welcome laur86,

Okay. I printed this first paragraph from a person's blog a year ago who was treating. I lost the name of the blog but this is still valid information on Viral Load and helped me put in into context for myself.

"Viral load is one of the numbers that folks with hepatitis c take very seriously, more seriously than we probably should given that the viral load numbers do not directly correlate with whether you are symptomatic, the amount of damage to your liver or the seriousness of the side effects that you may be experiencing. It is however the number that is measured to determine the ongoing success of your treatment regimen and to determine in the long run whether you have cleared your body of the virus. Given that, it is followed with a great deal of attention."

So, as you learn more, this will become clearer. Know that the viral load can fluctuate up or down from week to week, day to day, and probably even hour to hour.

There is still no general agreement on what Viral Load is considered low and what is high in hep c. And is depends in what context you're speaking. If you are not currently being treated, the following interpretation can probably be used.

below 200,000 - very low

200,000 to 1,000,000 - low

1,000,000 to 5,000,000 - medium

5,000,000 to 25,000,000 - high

above 25,000,000 - very high

I'm glad you have an appointment with a more appropriate dr. than a GYN. Sounds like she overstepped her specialty and scared the daylights out of you when it was so unnecessary.

Your genotype is more important right now. It tells you if you have the most difficult to treat which is Genotype (GT)1a.

Be prepared to become your own best advocate. hep c self-education is so important. I'm glad you came here and we'll help you to that end so you're armed with what you need to know before choosing the best treatment option for you.

04/20/2012 05:37 AM
laur86

Thank you! I appreciate it. I am waiting anxiously for my daughters results. Hoping for the best expecting the worst. Sad

04/20/2012 07:40 AM
ylangbrz
ylangbrz  

Fingers crossed she's negative but even if she's positive, you will find the strength to cope and will help her and yourself with any hep c related problems. It is so wonderful you got clean. Now you are more clear headed. This journey needs your full attention. Let us know how your first Dr. visit goes. Stay strong! Wink

04/20/2012 08:32 AM
laur86

I am trying!! Yes i had 4 years clean before and relapsed. Sad but back on the road to recovery which is good for me. Thank you, If she is positive do you know what kind of treatment they have for kids???????. shes young and of course if i had to pick who did treatment it would always be her first.

04/20/2012 12:20 PM
laur86

My beautiful daughter alayna is hep c NEGative! Thank god.... now just worried about me but being strong for her... what to expect at my 1st appointment! Yikes! Sad

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved