MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/10/2012 12:45 PM

Man in life is depressed help

Angelface08
Angelface08  
I'm an Advocate

I suspect the guy that I am seeing is dealing with depression. I have known him for 5 years we recently decided to try dating again. I am really worried about him. I gently asked if he ever thought about talking to someone. He said he has thought about seeing someone but has never made it there. I mentioned this very gently and in a non attacking way. I didn't suggest he go see someone but I said if he wanted to go that I would be there for him.I said that I would support him in whatever way possible. If he needed me to just sit in the waiting room, walk with him, or be there when he gets home. Just someone for him to lean on. Instead of getting help he is using alcohol to numb the pain. For those of us that deal with depression we know all to well its the worse way to treat it. That's only going to make him worse. I don't think he realize how bad he is, or for how long hes been this way. I'm watching him get worse. I feel like a hypocrite when I even think about talking to him about this again. Since I was in the hospital a year and half go twice because I was clinically depressed. Thankfully I got help and am in a better place. I love him I don't want him to fall as far as did. I'm here for him in whatever capacity I can be, but he wont let me be there. Hes shutting me out, which is worrying me because that's the first thing I did before I really spiraled. I won't walk away from him I am staying I just need to know how I can convince him to get help. With what ive been through so recently I'm afraid ill sound hypocritical. I don't know if I am making any sense. He will barely talk to people, sleeps most of the day and night, I can just see it. How do I help him get help before its to late? I would appreciate any help. I want to see him happy and healthy. Thanks you so much for the help.

Hugs

Angel

02/11/2012 03:41 AM
2steveb
2steveb  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

IF ITS ANY HELP IVE ALWAYS FOUND THE BEST/1ST APPROACH IS 'WHY', SELF ANALASIS. ONCE YOU KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS YOU KNOW WHAT NEEDS DOING. A DR WILL JUST PUT YOU ON ANTIDEPRESANTS?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved