MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/07/2012 01:13 PM

Wife Is In ICU

Steve44

My wife has been diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome this week and she is in ICU now. I asked the doctor last night how long he expects her to be in ICU and he said hopefully just a few days. Is that realistic? She is 32 and was in good health before this started. She can't walk now and she has lost speech and almost all other movement. However, they tell me her condition is stable. I've read that it's usually worst at about 3 to 4 weeks and that's about how long since she first started feeling numb in her hands and feet. At least 3 weeks, probably 4. How long should we expect this to last?

03/02/2013 03:29 AM
splat57

Hi Steve

I am sorry for your wife and you . My wife was in the same condition on Feb 14th. My words of wisdom are do not leave your wife's side. With out you to speak for her and stay on top of things it will get very scary for her. The nurses will sometimes not be very caring to you or your wife. They have left my wife on the bed pan for over a half hour many times. Are slow to get help to move her and get the pain meds. My wife had unbearable pain and it just killed me to see her like that. That being said I was her rock to get through this. This is my first day not being in the hospital all day and night with my kids giving me a few hours away. She is in rehab now and I can not stay or I would be there. The other thing is this is not a quick thing to get over. You are looking at a few months or more most likely. This is what I was not prepared for. I

thought a few weeks in rehab and life would be back to normal. Wrong!!!!

So stay strong and fight for her!!!

Thoughts and Prayers

Splat

03/02/2013 09:16 AM
ClydeA

Hello Steve, you will have a lot more questions soon. gbs syndrome effects every one differently, so the Dr.s will keep and monitor a gbs patient for a few days in icu. for heart or resporatory failure, because it cn effect the nerves leading to the heart or lungs . I just discovered a web sight that would have helped my family and myself tremendosly if i had it,s info when i was 1st diagnosed gbs in 2005,. Getting the right treatment early is very important to the recovery, but 90% of the people that i,ve read about or came in contact with after 3 years physical therapy have little if any residuals symptoms, mostly fatigue or tire easily. I am one of the few that had a more severe type of gbs and did not get the right medical that was needed, the dr.s that treated me did not know much about the syndrome or the so few types of treatment avaliable so here is this web type this into google search

[All about Guillian-Barre syndrome introduction... Jsmarcussen]

After about 8 years i just found this and it has already answered some questions that i,ve had for the last 7 almost 8 years.. prayers for you and your family,.

04/19/2013 07:45 PM
krystagali

Steve -

How is your wife doing?

Splat -

You sound just like my husband. And you are right. My husband was my ROCK and he really stayed on top of the nurses. How is your wife doing?

04/29/2013 08:08 PM
splat57

Sorry I am late in answering this. We are very busy with rehab and doctors. My wife is doing great she has recovered fast and the doctors say this is a good sign that she will recover fully. She is back to about 80% as of now. How are you doing? My wife had a bad stretch about 2 or 3weeks out of the hospital. She was down mentally and it took both doctors saying the same things to bring here out of this funk. I hope you do not go through this but if you are, do things that bring you joy and take your mind off of things. I took my wife over to see our 7 month old grandson as much as possible. This helped a lot.

Best wishes and good luck

Mike

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved