MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/10/2009 03:31 PM

hiatal hernia and gerd

susan11

Hi, I am new to the group, having recently found out that I have a hiatal hernia and gerd. This explains the months of feeling so poorly. I am now on a new medication (pantoprazole), just started yesterday,and would like to hear from anyone who has taken this. I am also interested in what the group thinks about surgery. Actually, any advise or information would be appreciated. Susan11

11/17/2009 05:45 AM
michie52
michie52  

I have heard this is the worst surgery possible don't have it unless you absoulutly have too

11/28/2009 11:51 AM
MinnesotaMark

Hi Susan- welcome to the group. I too have a Hiatal Hernia and GERD. I am also planning to have surgery because I also have Barrett's. If you have frequent reflux / GERD symptoms then chances are your HH is likely causing the issues. Likely before you undergo a surgery- doctors will recommend that you try lifestyle changes first: smaller meals, low fat-high fiber, weight loss, exercise, nothing to eat after 6pm, etc. and will also suggest to get on a course of Proton Pump inhibitors (PPI's) like Prevacid or Prilosec (these tend to take 1-2 days to kick in). If you continue to have symptoms- then surgery may be an option. The most popular surgery is Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication. This keyhole procedure wraps the stomach flaps (fundus) around your esophagus to strengthen the LES (valve between the two). They will also fix the hernia and strengthen the diaphram muscle. They will do a few tests (motility, PH level, maybe an Xray and blood work) to make sure that you are a candidate. Surgery is about 35-45mins long and you leave hospital the same or next day. Thousands of these procedures are performed a month nationwide and they have a approx 90-95% success rate. Recovery takes 1-3 weeks- with some dietary and lifestyle restrictions, etc. It is important to look for an experienced laparoscopic surgeon in your area- one who has over 150-200 procedures under his/her belt. Make sure you ask what their success rate is and also if they do revisional LAP Nissen surgeries (reversing or fixing a slipped procedure). Only the best laparoscopic surgeons are comfortable and proficient at doing this.

Another note...don't be discouraged by some of the negative comments about Lap Nissen online. While it is true that there is a 5-10% failure rate- 5-8% being short term (2-3 mos.) side effects. Unfortunately the online folks who have the bad experiences outnumber the folk who had success as once one is cured of GERD you tend to move on with your life and never have occasion to frequent these forums again. This group (90%) far outnumbers the true failures.

Hope this helps.

Minnesota Mark

11/30/2009 04:56 PM
Julie4848

Ok, I'm on the lyme board but just read this. I had the Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication 6 years ago...BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE...I'm still on PPI's, can't burp, can't throw up, always full of gas and still have HEART BURN...Please read up on this before you do this...I would never do this again if given the chance. I lost 46 pounds in 4 months because of this you can't not eat for 3-4 months except baby food and no doctor will tell you this, they will tell you to "GO FOR IT"..I would rather live with gerd (which I still do) then ever have this done again. Plus my wrap has fallen so I'm back to square one. PM me any time and will explain more if you like.

Julie

11/30/2009 04:58 PM
Julie4848

p.s. I was in the hospital for 4 days, and back within two due to not being able to drink water...Please read up on this..I have a great board for this if you want the name of it, just pm me, they will tell you how this will effect your life...Not being able to throw up is not fun...

12/01/2009 06:37 AM
susan11

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply. It was very informative, and I hope you will keep me posted after the surgery, let me know how it went and the aftermath. I have just about decided that surgery would be best for me and will soon talk to my doctor about it. I have read so many scary tales about the unsuccessfulness of this surgery and was glad to learn the success rate. You will be in my thoughts and I hope all goes well. God bless! Susan11

12/01/2009 08:01 AM
Julie4848

Hi Mark:

A few things to get for afterwards that really helped me.

1. Heat pad for the gas build up since you will not be able to burp again, this will help with the pain

2. Baby food grinder to grind up the food, as you will not be able to eat solid food for a few months.

3. Beno for the gas build up

4. Always drink warm water with your food, it will help with the stomach pains you might have

5. I have a great board for you regarding recovery and what to expect as I don't want to scare you into what I went through and many of my friends went through.

Yes my wrap did work for a few years, I had the best surgen in Chicago that did mine, he has done over 1,000 of them when I had mine done. Remember tho, you will never throw up again and burping well you most likley will not for many years to come. So in turn you tummy always looks hugh due to the gas that builds up.

Coming from someone that has had this done, those are the pros and cons. I was also back on PPI's 6 months later.

I also get scoped every 6 months to make sure the wrap is still in place.

Also most Dr's will not do the Nissen due to the uncesessfulness of this, there is a new one out that I have heard is wonderful.

i wish you the best of luck, and if you need any information due to recovery just email me.

12/12/2009 05:47 AM
Julie4848

Mark: Did you have it done?? If so how are you feeling???

12/12/2009 07:13 AM
susan11

Julie 4848 refers to a new surgery that is more successful than Nissen. What is it called? Susan11

12/13/2009 05:47 AM
Julie4848

I'm trying to fine the name of it, I'm still looking, I do see my GI Dr next month, he knows the name as him and I discussed it a few months back. But since I had the Nissen I can't have it done.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved