MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/11/2012 09:04 PM

No Stomach Symptoms??

albero

Hello everyone. I recently just went for an endoscopy after having 2 months of upper chest tightness, palpitations, and occasional shortness of breath. I have cleared all cardiac tests (EKG, Stress test, echocardiogram, and holter monitor), so I decided to get an endoscopy because I was getting desperate. I thought maybe I had a hiatal hernia that was causing the upper chest pain. Anyways, I had the endoscopy after fasting 9 hours, and the doctor stated afterwards that the endoscopy was clear, but he saw food in my stomach and ordered me to have a gastric emptying study done next week. This caught me off guard because I know most people with gastroparesis have issues with food, correct? None of my symptoms are increased or come about with the ingestion of food. As a matter of fact, I just had a burger for lunch and I felt fine. Is it possible to have gastroparesis and not have any symptoms related to food intake? I don't have nausea, I never vomit, I don't feel full after a few bites, I don't have a loss of appetite.........I read that food seen on an endoscopy is essentially enough for a diagnosis of gastroparesis even though a gastric emptying test is done to confirm, but I'm just confused and scared. Any ideas/feedback? Thank you

05/11/2012 11:01 PM
RonoftheDead
RonoftheDead  
I'm an Advocate

Hello & welcome aboard!!!

All I can tell you my friend is...Count your "Lucky-Stars" you do NOT have the (GI-Symptoms) like most of us here: "Nausea/Vomiting" "Abdominibol-

Pain" etc...You're VERY lucky indeed! But do'nt be shocked if this developes into a more serious condition! I hope not but this is a very nasty disease/condition to have! It sounds like you're simply one of the lucky ones ???

Like I said before it's GREAT to have you here!!! All my best...Ronny

05/12/2012 03:32 PM
albero

Thank you Ron, I really appreciate it. Is it pointless in me still holding out hope that it's not GP until the Gastric Emptying Study? I did have a large meal and went right to sleep the night before my endoscopy showed food remnants in my stomach, so could this just be a fluke, or am I just in denial of the inevitable? Thanks again for the warm welcome Ron.

05/12/2012 04:43 PM
RonoftheDead
RonoftheDead  
I'm an Advocate

From what I've heard from you I'm not 100% convinced you have it? I really hope you do NOT! I'm not trying to frighten you but if you do have it & it becomes a more serious condition you are not going to like it (Trust me!) I'm hoping you do not have it, but if you do I'm here for you 24/7 365! Feel free to send me a message (anytime!)

Take good care of yourself, all my best...

RonnySmile

05/12/2012 06:57 PM
albero

Thanks Ron....it's great having a supportive community like this. I don't know how people were able to cope with stuff like this before the internet! Thanks again.

05/12/2012 07:51 PM
RonoftheDead
RonoftheDead  
I'm an Advocate

Anytime my friend! That's what I (We) are here for! I know what you mean although my family (Wife, Mother, & Child) are VERY supportive they really have no idea what myself & the rest of us are going through! Misery is very honsetly a under-statement of the devastation that this disease brings us! I hope very much that you remain relativly (Symptom-Free!) to be honest...I'm JEALOUS!!! LOL!!!

Hope you're having a WONDERFUL-WEEKEND!!!

All my best...

Ronny

05/15/2012 04:35 AM
Dawnne
DawnnePosts: 106

Fat in the stomach causes a slow emptying of the stomach contents. You could try a low fat diet for a while and see if your symptoms subside. My husband cant have fats at all - I put peanut butter in his smoothie and it shut his digestion right down.

05/15/2012 10:34 AM
albero

Thank you both again. I just received back my results from the gastric emptying study. Here's an image of the results: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/photoempty.jpg . Not sure how to feel from this. Should I rejoice , or does this mean I was only 2 minutes away from a positive diagnosis?

Post edited by: albero, at: 05/15/2012 10:39 AM

05/15/2012 08:44 PM
RonoftheDead
RonoftheDead  
I'm an Advocate

You are VERY welcome! From my experiance (& my GI Doc agrees) that the emptying study is simply a joke! You can have SEVERE "GP" & have a test done when your body is doing better than normal & come back with a negative diagnosis for "Gastroparesis" Go back & have the same test a couple of weeks later w/a TOTALY different diagnosis ??? Good luck my friend & do NOT hesitate to ask me (us) anything you need to know about this condition/disease!

Take care & all my best...

Ronny

05/16/2012 09:03 AM
Plo83
Plo83  
VIP Member

I agree with Ron. Eat a big bowl of pasta right before the time limit (frame where you can't eat) and you will most likely fail it miserably like I did. GP is a messed up disorder because your symptoms can wax and wane. One day I'm so so another day I am only vomiting. Then I can manage to get half a day here and then where I'm feeling well. I would maybe ask my dr if I could try Domperidome (Reglan has many side effects much more than Domperidome) and see if it makes a difference. Your doctor may not want to prescribe it however since you do not have a diagnosis but try to bargain with him for 1 month to see how it does (worse? better?). It's also not avail in the USA so you may need to get the RX and order from a Canadian pharmacy. You will have to do research as to which ones you can trust or not. I've never used them nor do I represent them. I know I've spoken about this process a few times but that's because it's the same for most USA people who will be unable to obtain it in their country. You can do your own research as well Reglan vs Domperidome. It will tell you which one has less side effects and which is most beneficial to patients usually. Domperidome will be your answer but I like to let people know what they can challenge me on that of course. Some people do great on Reglan too by the way. It is known to have some BAD side effects which is why I refused it myself. Speak with your doctor and let us know what they say. Oh you can also try to get them to prescribe you some erythromycin which they give to babies with gastroparesis. It's an antibiotic. You can see if that helps alleviate any symptoms. As far as I know this is fairly safe with the same restrictions as any other antibiotic. No pill is ever 100% safe but we all take them because they are often more beneficial than the pain. Sorry for the little rant here. I just wanted to make sure that I had as many basis covered as possible. I was lost when I was new to this disease and I am trying to prevent that in others. It's no fun to feel alone. Oh I forgot one thing. You can try a liquid diet or Google Gastroparesis diet. If you do better on that, it's usually a sign of Gastroparesis. As Dawnne said a few posts above me, some people react very well to the diet change alone.

PS: If you need to talk or vent, these boards are great. We do not care if you have a diagnosis or not. You're in pain, we're in pain. We get it.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved