MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/31/2012 09:29 AM

stomach flu vs. gastroparesis

paigeme0610

How do you know if you are having an episode of gastroparesis or the stomach flu?

Yesterday my burps tasted like vomit all day. In the evening my stomach got really swollen and I started having terrible stomach cramps that went through to my back. Then I started throwing up and having diarrhea.

This morning I feel better, just tired and mild stomach cramps. Was it the flu or gastroparesis? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

01/31/2012 10:14 AM
Plo83
Plo83  
VIP Member

Were you diagnosed with gastroparesis or are you trying to figure out if you have it? If this happens often, it could be GP. If it happens only once or twice a year type of deal then it's most likely just a bug that you caught.

As for being able to identify GP vs a stomach flu, I don't think I can. Some people may have different symptoms and severity for GP and the stomach flu so it's really about you and knowing/listening to your body. You may be able to notice differences between the two. For me my GP is pretty much constant with episodes of vomiting every now and then and episodes of pain every now and then as well. I just feel different if I get a stomach bug/flu than I do with my GP but it can be different for us all...

02/10/2012 07:20 PM
sparkyjrob

The only way I have found to tell the difference between the two is I tend to get chills/fever when I get the stomach flu and just nausea and diarrhea with GP, though it is tough to tell. Also if other members of your family get it, it is the stomach flu. When explaining how GP feels to others I explain it as being similar to stomach flu.

02/10/2012 08:52 PM
chaffer26

For me, I know I've gotten some form of bug when I start vomiting, otherwise I just deal with the pain, nausea and reflux. How long ago were you diagnosed? If it's pretty resent, it is gonna take some time to figure out what your "normal" is gonna be.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved