MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/14/2011 06:26 AM

Feel Like Giving Up On Eating

Jedswife

I read some where that having Gastroparesis can lead to anorexia. Well it's no dawm wonder! If I didn't have a family to shop and cook for, I could totally see myself going that route. You need to eat, you want to eat, but eating causes so many problems that it's not worth putting anything in your mouth....UGH!!!

04/14/2011 09:59 AM
GastroGirl
GastroGirl  

I wish I didn't understand it so well! Sad

04/14/2011 04:19 PM
RonoftheDead
RonoftheDead  
I'm an Advocate

I think we are all in the same boat on this...Unfortunatly!!!Sick

04/16/2011 01:42 AM
chaffer26

When I'm not at work, I barely eat. I shop for a handful of items, and that's it. I basically drink my Propel or G2 when at home...that's about it. That's one reason why my old GIs partner asked if I ever had an eating disorder. My response..."Not voluntarily" Needless to say, he gave me a very odd look until I explained the year everything first acted up, and I was hardly eating at all, even less than I am now. Then he understood what I meant.

07/08/2011 09:30 PM
Grace2day
Grace2day  

I quit solids nearly a year ago. Now I'm not even bothering with smoothies. Too painful.

07/17/2011 11:35 AM
bluesuz

What liquids are you drinking to fill you up? I find myself starving and then I eat things I know will make me sick! It's a horrible cycle but I can't find anything to replace my craving for food. Any suggestions?

07/17/2011 01:02 PM
heidilee

I am the same way. I seem to crave foods that I know will tear me up. I was only diagnoised recently but have been suffering a few years now. Good luck!

07/18/2011 06:38 AM
Jedswife

I drink alot of smoothies. the pre-made Yoplait packets are awesome and I always keep those on hand. You can also make your own with yogurt and fruit. My husband bought me a juicer for mother's day and it is fantastic! Fresh fruit was a staple in my diet before I was diagnosed and having to cut it out was a huge loss to me. But being able to juice it has been great. And it's SO GOOD! I will do a smoothie for breakfast, homemade juice for lunch, and dinner depends on how I feel that day. A small meal or soup...I don't get cravings too much. Plus, to me, it's not worth the pain to give in!

07/20/2011 08:56 AM
heidilee

Do you constantly feel nauseous? I do almost always. Can't seem to find anything that helps. How long have you had gastroparesis?

Are you tired a lot too?

07/22/2011 08:23 AM
Jedswife

My nausea varies from day to day. Some days are worse than others. It's almost always there, though. If it get really bad, my Dr. gave me a prescription for phenergan. It works! But makes me drowsey so I can't take it all the time. Mostly in the evening after dinner is when I need it. But not every day.

I was diagnosed in March of this year, but I have had symptoms for 8 YEARS and didn't know what was wrong with me!! Thought I was crazy! And the weird part is that mine is episodic. I would feel bad, then be better, so I never went to the Dr. I went last Feb. because I thought I had ovarian cancer. Turned out to be ovarian cysts and gastroparesis! Similar symptoms! I am glad to have a diagnosis and know how to deal with it and manage it with diet.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved