MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/06/2011 06:34 PM

Does gastroparesis get progressively worse?

Jade30

Hi everyone!

I am new the site and have had gastroparesis for about three years. Over the past six months it seems to be getting worse. I get full faster and faster. Sometimes I over eat by accident (I do many small meals a day) by just a spoonful or two and I feel full for the rest of the day worrying if I am going to vomit over night (I definately have felt increased aniexty with this disease). I have lost weight and haven't been able to put it back on. Has anyone else's symptoms become worse over time? In addition, I have been reading about natural ways to help the condition. Has anyone tried bitters or ginger? It is so nice to find a support group for this. Thank you for any advice you might have!

03/06/2011 06:46 PM
chaffer26

Mine got worse very quickly after a long period (about 6 years) of relative stability. It got to the point where I lost 55 lbs in about a year, and had to have the pacer placed in hopes of controlling some of the symptoms.

I have tried ginger tea, and it does work some. I put some honey in it because if you let it steep for too long, it can get very very strong and sharp tasting. So I like to put the honey in it to cut the sharpness. Plus, the honey itself is kinda soothing to the belly.

03/06/2011 07:52 PM
cbwilliams

I have had it for a few years, but diet and meds kept it reasonable until about 2 months ago. I have lost 20 pounds and just had a feeding tube put in a week ago. I have no idea why it got so bad so quickly...def frusrating!!

03/07/2011 07:22 AM
GastroGirl
GastroGirl  

Mine is the reverse of most. It was severe in the beginning, but has gotten better with diet modification. I think, for me, it was so bad in the beginning because we didn't know what it was and I did all the wrong things. In the year since my diagnosis I haven't had a severe episode, but I DO feel MORE minor symptoms on a daily basis than I did before.

03/07/2011 03:54 PM
Jade30

Thank you all so much! I will try the ginger tea. Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with all of the anxiety that comes along with all of this?

03/08/2011 04:50 AM
chaffer26

I do a lot of crafting to kind of take my mind off things, but mainly stuff that can be done while in bed (knitting, crocheting, and piecing quilts.) I take one night a week to go to a coworkers house where she runs a quilting group to finish things off, if I'm feeling up to it anyway.

Another thing I do is a LOT of reading, anything to distract me from what's going on It helps keep me from dweeling on things and then the anxiety spirals out of control sometimes.

03/09/2011 04:35 PM
Jade30

I had to laugh when reading your answer because I felt like I was answering my own question. I too love to read and do crafting (as well as cooking and traveling)! It is certainly difficult to keep the aniexty from spiraling when you are unsure of what is going on in your body and wondering how it is going to impact your life.

03/13/2011 07:40 PM
Freespirit60

I have found that ginger helps me. I take a ginger capsule three times a day and drink ginger ale.

03/14/2011 04:32 PM
angelicdrea

My doctor give me very low doses of xanex because of the anxiety I get from being sick or the anxiety I get when I panic over a flare up. You could always try something herbal if you don't like perscription drugs.

03/14/2011 11:26 PM
Plo83
Plo83  
VIP Member

Hi Jade. I've found that my GP is pretty stable at being unpredictable. I never really know what I'm going to get. Like Angelicdrea, I was prescribed Xanax because with this type of disease comes a lot of stress and anxiety. I take Paxil regularly to help prevent and take Xanax if I get a panic attack (which I often get during my stomach pains/major gastro-pains). As for herbal pills/remedies, they may work for some. They cannot really harm you if they are entirely natural but do some online research first. I know that nothing has helped me but pills/pharmaceuticals and changing my diet (ok I cheat and still eat foods that I should not-it's not easy to changes one's diet over night).

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved